Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto on enjoying the foster stories. I foster horses for our county animal control. I am totally smitten with my new guy... 18mth old qh/paint (?) gelding. I have to admit I am not heavily advertising him :D
1 of my cats was bottle raised (he was found at the landfill at ~2wks old, when vet did worm check all he had in him was leaves and dirt). 1 cat is from the county pound and 3 are from a rescue. 1 was dumped at my house and I actually went and picked up the other one!
One of my dogs is a pound puppy as well.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The Story of Red

Red is really my husband's story. I went through something at 40 where I wanted to find meaning in my life and helping dogs was it...at first my hubby just kinda humored me and then he joined me and now he is the one doing most of the volunteering...I guess I'm lucky my strange passion is shared by my man.

In any event, about five years ago while I worked at ...I'll call it Chloe's vet clinic, and we were sorta in charge of the dog fostering part of things with this group, my hubby was driving home one day along a major highway. Laying across the road is a big red dog and several cars are stopped. It is probably lab pit, and it is unconscious. The one person has hit the dog and others have stopped. All of them are looking at each other, what to do? Should they touch it? Will it bite? Who will pay the vet bill? What to do? One of them had seen the dog loose on this particular road many times. Should they just call animal control?
Well my hubby looks at the one who says they have seen the dog and says, "find out whose dog it is" and to another who says she wants to pay for some care because she hit the dog he says "follow me" and proceeds to go over and pick up Red (as we later named him) and carry him to his Jeep. Red had woken up by now and saw my husband as a friend, never had a thought to bite anyone, but of course all these people were afraid of a pit type dog, especially one in pain. My hubby and I owned a wonderful lab/pit for many years who was not so red but had his same face, so hubby felt no fear for Red and Red knew he needed help.

He calls me from his car and tells us to get ready for an incoming injured dog and of course the clinic fixes up Red in no time, he had a concussion and two broken ribs is all. We did have to keep him quiet for six weeks, which was really hard....it meant sedating him because we could find no other way....but we got him through and he was healthy and strong after that.

The lady who accidentely hit him paid a good part of his bill, and the person who knew the dog was loose alot actually found the owner and convinced her to come down to the clinic and sign over ownership of the dog to my group in exchange for us not calling animal control for a loose dog and not paying the vet bill. She was actually relieved to not have him any more, he was too much for her and she had no money to fix him.

Red turned out to be really good at opening doors and gates and taking himself on walks in the neighborhood. We had been building Fort Knox in the back yard so we soon had that figured out, and we had to find him a home with great fencing. We were fostering a litter of lab puppies at the time and he got really attached to them, trained them himself. We took him to obedience training because he was such a strong man, and he was such a beauty that his story caught the fancy of a few people in the class, and they were inspired to become volunteers and rescue dogs like him. These folks still volunteer to this day "because of Red" and are very active in helping dogs in this county. In any event, Red finally got trained by my hubby and landed himself a home, but when his new family came to adopt him, they fell in love with one of his lab puppies he had been raising, so he got to take one of "his" puppies home with him. They are together still and I used to hear from them every year until we moved. I'd like to find them again, they are one of five couples who have adopted two of our fosters, but the only ones who adopted a pup and an adult at the same time. They did have some trouble with him, he was not an easy dog, but they worked it out and of course the little lab girl was always an angel who looked up to Red as her hero, after all, he had had ADVENTURES.

So that was another happy ending, did you like that one? I have some with unhappy endings too, but not very many. They are not very fun to share, so I'll keep up these ones.

I could do breed requests.....lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Usually meniere's disease is not so bad, PM me if you want me to tell you more about it, I have talked about it enough here on this journal but to a meniere's patient I would have different things to say. I know how they diagnose it certainly.
Ditto to that. I know I've mentioned a couple of times that I also suffer from MD. I've had it for around 23 years now. Quite truthfully, if my right ear didn't always feel full, and if it wasn't for the occasional vertigo attacks, I'd forget I have it. (Maybe I should go by Dizzy Deb instead of Denim Deb)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Dang! I wrote out a whole long foster story and poof, my computer glitched and it was gone.....I'll have to try that one again another night.

Saw the granddaughter today, cutest baby on earth, I swear. Will be walking soon.
DD has moved to a new, nicer place so she enjoyed showing me and we went and had mexican food. We are teaching my son to drive so he was behind the wheel. Unfortunately we figured out today that he left the parking brake on when we went driving Tuesday and the brakes are ruined. He told me he heard a sound but I thought the pads were just worn and starting to grind, didn't hear the parking brake sound or think to ask if he had taken it off.

Sooooooooooooo excited the stinky buck smell is going away. Got a haircut with my share of the money. I missed my goats so much, we had to take baths after visiting their barn so we were not giving them as much attention. The does seem to have rounder bellies already, or maybe I'm just imagining it? I'm pretty excited about our first kids.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hated it when my kids were learning to drive! I'm surprised it didn't give me gray hair. Both of my kids always wanted to drive near the right shoulder. And, since many of the streets here are narrow, w/very little in the way of a shoulder, I was constantly afraid that we were going to hit trees, telephone poles, mailboxes, etc.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! DD! my sis just said the exact same thing - her middle kid is starting to drive.

LOOK OUT MAILBOXES! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

hee hee hee hee

He told me he heard a sound
tell him when his Auntie OFG hears this... i just turn the radio up louder. that fixes it

ha!
;-)

and no you arent imagining it... Nibbles looks like a tug boat. i'm calling her Fattie now.

;-)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh no....sorry about the brakes.....I have 11 years before I have to tackle this one....although my 5 yr old does want a four wheeler cause is legs are too dang long for his electric gator toy anymore.....maybe I don't have too long to wait :rolleyes:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well middle child is actually a very good driver compared to my daughter. She is 28 and still not good......................he is doing really well............if I remember my daughter ruined a clutch as well as scaring us to death almost hitting parked cars, etc.......

I must admit I have bad spatial perception and scrape off my paint parking my car alot.....hubby teases ME about hitting mailboxes because while I've never caused an accident in my life, I have hit three mailboxes. And not while I was learning.....

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That was a great story about Red!

I am so very, very, very glad I got to practice on DH's youngest sister before I even had kids. Her dad made her nervous so she asked me to teach her, instead. Good experience :)

I've already started my 2 driving down our driveway (sitting in my lap) so they will have a feel for steering before they have to learn the gears, brakes, gas. That's how I learned and by the time I was 15 and got my license, I was pretty confident. Of course, AFTER I graduated high school, my school started driver's ed :rolleyes:

:bun pip-popping (thanks OFG) kids!! Woo Hoo!!! I can't wait either :D

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We learned to drive sitting on my dad's lap, and then in the pasture lol. My brother drove an old station wagon off in the pond - thankfully it was dry.