Sawmill

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is beautiful wood, beautiful guitar, fantastic craftsmanship. :thumbsup I never knew that about black walnut.

We have native persimmon trees on our place. The sheep and dogs love the persimmons. The persimmon is related to ebony. Ebony trees grow in the Rio Grande Valley along the Texas/Mexico border. We had honey locust trees on property we used to have. They sprouted everywhere, thorns and all. I hated them. It's cool that black locust glows under black light, but I still hate those thorny trees!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is beautiful wood, beautiful guitar, fantastic craftsmanship. :thumbsup I never knew that about black walnut.

We have native persimmon trees on our place. The sheep and dogs love the persimmons. The persimmon is related to ebony. Ebony trees grow in the Rio Grande Valley along the Texas/Mexico border. We had honey locust trees on property we used to have. They sprouted everywhere, thorns and all. I hated them. It's cool that black locust glows under black light, but I still hate those thorny trees!

Honey and black locust are really two entirely different kinds of wood. Honey locust is a orange color but black locust is dary gray to black honey locust is not rot resistant at all but black walnut is very rot resistant.

Your very smart... and correct - Persimmon is indeed of the ebony family and often also called American ebony.

Goggle images
Black Locust top row / Honey locust the rows under the top black locust row.
lumber-samples-for-harmony-builders-024.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! That walnut wood is gorgeous! I passed the pictures and your information around to all here tonight to show them your work. You really do amazing work!
I'll be setting those walnut logs up to dry. Thanks! Am I understanding you right, that you let the wood dry completely before sawing it? I also have lots of pecan wood, and some pine and oak. I didn't realize walnut was so rot resistant. Any idea if it still affects other plants once it's dry? (I'm wondering if it could be used for trellises or would it inhibit plant growth even after its dead?)
Re: the tilapia, I've heard good and bad (like everything else in life.) I figure moderation in all things. It'll be a nice addition to the freezer and an easy source of protein for the house and it's waste helps the garden. But yes, there are definitely kinds of fish I like better. If I had a small lake or large pond, I'd do bass, crappy, and bluegill, and would just walk out and catch supper... :) I doubt we get cold enough water here to get any really good trout streams, but things just don't get much better than fresh caught trout fried up in a little butter. YUM!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! That walnut wood is gorgeous! I passed the pictures and your information around to all here tonight to show them your work. You really do amazing work!
I'll be setting those walnut logs up to dry. Thanks! Am I understanding you right, that you let the wood dry completely before sawing it? I also have lots of pecan wood, and some pine and oak. I didn't realize walnut was so rot resistant. Any idea if it still affects other plants once it's dry? (I'm wondering if it could be used for trellises or would it inhibit plant growth even after its dead?)
Re: the tilapia, I've heard good and bad (like everything else in life.) I figure moderation in all things. It'll be a nice addition to the freezer and an easy source of protein for the house and it's waste helps the garden. But yes, there are definitely kinds of fish I like better. If I had a small lake or large pond, I'd do bass, crappy, and bluegill, and would just walk out and catch supper... :) I doubt we get cold enough water here to get any really good trout streams, but things just don't get much better than fresh caught trout fried up in a little butter. YUM!

You want to have the logs cut into boards as soon as possible after felling and bucking. Seal the log ends with ancoseal or parifin wax, stack and sticker the boards to air dry. Remember wet lumber is.like memory foam so stack and sticker on a good flat surface else you'll end up with ship planks when the dry.

Walnut isn't very rot resistant at all but black locust is very rot resistant, so is the heart wood of cypress, white oak & cedar.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I worked a big part of the day on my sawmill. I got her purring and just got a couple more things to do and she'll be ready to start singing her log song again. My blades are scheduled to arrive Monday - it's amazing to me how much i missed that sawmill.

My son bought 12 acres of mature hardwood forest over the winter. We are going to start harvesting in the next couple of weeks. I'll be teaching my son how to fell and buck trees and how to become a Miller, he's ready to get started and so am I.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats! Glad you got something that's so important to you put back in service. Sounds like you'll be back in your element pretty soon!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My son bought 12 acres of mature hardwood forest over the winter. We are going to start harvesting in the next couple of weeks. I'll be teaching my son how to fell and buck trees and how to become a Miller, he's ready to get started and so am I.
I hope it will go well for you guys! It's been awhile since you had to give up the sawmill? There's nothing quite like going back to something you love :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just took on another sawmill job 5000 BF for a 20x30' barn. Here's a picture of what it's supposed to look like when finished.

12509000_1714343148852914_426139345653669529_n.jpg.pagespeed.ce.53TBp2ttEq.jpg

I had a logger stop by today. He is selling me 1500 BF yellow pine for $600.00 delivered to my mill. That's .40 a BF - which is a pretty good deal, since I don't have to go pickup the logs.

So I'm going to order 5000 BF which will cost 2k and then saw it and sell it to the guy who is building the barn for 5k. So I'll make .60 a BF or 3k.

I just need to button up a few details and get 5k from the barn guy to get started.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is awesome to hear and I love that barn! You're going to be very busy soon :)