Scams, rip offs & stupid mistakes - Share yours so we can all learn

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Never allow your offspring to live at home past 20 yrs. old.
Huh. Even moreso, never MARRY someone who's been allowed to freeload at home til age 42.

Ask me how I know. (well, no, don't, but you can imagine :p

Pat

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those of you into this sort of thing :)
No matter how much money you need, do not pawn off your gaming gear! You can always pick up that same amount of money doing yard work for someone, or odd jobs around town. However, if you spent the money to get the game system to begin with, you will get bored at some point and want to play it and it won't be there. :) Somedays I wish I had a time machine :rolleyes:

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Boogity said:
Never allow your offspring to live at home past 20 yrs. old.
Huh. Even moreso, never MARRY someone who's been allowed to freeload at home til age 42.

Ask me how I know. (well, no, don't, but you can imagine :p

Pat
I bet the parents were glad to see you come along! :lol:

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
An ex-friend of DH is one of those 'BEWARE OF THE CHRISTAIN' types. He will lie, cheat, and steal to make a buck, but he always keeps a big Bible on the dashboard and on the front table so everyone can see it. He's such a PHONY!! And he is also real bad to come on to women over the 'net. He says he wants a relationship, but what he's really looking for is a quick tumble. Once he gets it (and he does because a lot of ladies are lonely) he leaves them FLAT! Many of his so-called 'loves' have even given him gifts and money! He is such a total SCUMBAG!:somad sorry for the rant, but I really hate it when someone uses God to con others!:rant

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So do I. It gives those of us who are real Christians a bad name, to say nothing of what it does to Christ.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I always keep an extra 6 pack of beer in the car for the bums. They really appreciate it. Homeless people get a dollar or a hamburger. If I decide to give someone money, I don't really care how they spend it. I usually just buy them a McDouble or something. They wolf it down as soon as they can get it open. I'm sure they would prefer money, but most are malnourished. I'm sure that some make good money. I saw 3 different people with signs working a 3 lane exit ramp at the light. Some guy was walking from one to the other and collecting money from them. There are also a lot that are legit as far as being bums. I like the ones that have signs that say "Need a drink". They get a dollar every time. Not my place in life to judge them.

As for scams. Live and learn. By 30 you should be a complete skeptic. If not you have led a way too sheltered life.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimlove2 said:
An ex-friend of DH is one of those 'BEWARE OF THE CHRISTAIN' types. He will lie, cheat, and steal to make a buck, but he always keeps a big Bible on the dashboard and on the front table so everyone can see it. He's such a PHONY!! And he is also real bad to come on to women over the 'net. He says he wants a relationship, but what he's really looking for is a quick tumble. Once he gets it (and he does because a lot of ladies are lonely) he leaves them FLAT! Many of his so-called 'loves' have even given him gifts and money! He is such a total SCUMBAG!:somad sorry for the rant, but I really hate it when someone uses God to con others!:rant
Yeah, sorry to say, we've discovered the folks who flaunt their "Christianity" tend to be the ones on the take. It really burns me :somad. Like someone said earlier, you can tell who the real believers are by their actions and attitudes. (And I personally don't want to meet my maker and have to be embarrassed while He lists my earthly shenannigans. I do some boneheaded things, but at least I know He expects me to be honest and show the grace He shows me!)

Speaking of boneheaded moves brings me to one of the things that, in retrospect, was not too intelligent for us to do: we refinanced our house several times as the rates got lower, this last time for 30 years. Sheesh...we would have almost had our first 15 year loan paid off (been here 13 years).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My hubby keeps doing that. I wanted to go w/a 15 year mortgage when we first moved in. He insisted on a 30 year. But, he's refinanced several times. We'd be paid off by now, or close to it if he hadn't messed w/it. (We've been here about 24 years.)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Speaking of boneheaded moves brings me to one of the things that, in retrospect, was not too intelligent for us to do: we refinanced our house several times as the rates got lower, this last time for 30 years. Sheesh...we would have almost had our first 15 year loan paid off (been here 13 years).
Guilty...hence my call for the baseball bat if hubby ever ever ever even thinks of saying the "R" word ever again.