Scams, rip offs & stupid mistakes - Share yours so we can all learn

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
hoosier said:
gettinaclue said:
A lesson learned from my brothers experience: Never buy a home without a home inspection.
Make sure the inspector is qualified.
x2

We had an 'inspection' done on ours, fortunately it was more so we could tell ourselves that at least we tried :p than because we were really relying on it. The nitwit missed some significant things we knew about (e.g. major floor joist completely severed and sinking), AND some significant things we didn't (garage foundation radically-inadequate and garage separating from house with partial kneewall falling over).

I don't particularly rue the way it turned out -- if we hadn't bought this place (tho we prolly woulda even if we'd known about the major garage issues) we would probably NEVER have been able to buy more than a couple acres, with what real estate prices were doing (and, up here, still are).

But still. Definitely an illustration that just "an" inspection is not sufficient.

Pat
Agreed.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I was leaving a conference years ago and I saw a nicely dressed man, in nice shorts and a button down shirt, approaching various people. When he approached me and my group, he asked for $5 for gas as he was traveling through the state with his family on his way home from a vacation and they ran out of gas on the highway and the gas station would not take his out of state check. My friends were ready to reach for their wallets (as many others before them had done) but I said I would be happy to go to the gas station, get a can of gas, go to his car and put it in, and he could be on his way. He said "nevermind" and walked away. Harrumph.

OK, I didn't get scammed, but I was taught that by my parents when I was quite young.
My husband and I have made it a point to NEVER give anyone money (unless it's dear friends). There is a man that stands out at the corner of Fred Meyers with a sign "Will work for food". The pastor of a church we used to attend recognized him as a former chef in a rather nice restaurant. The pastor stopped to talked to the man and asked why he was out of work. The man said "I get more money doing this". :th

We are more then willing to help out a person, we will buy food, gas etc for people but only 1 time out of literally hundreds (we used to live in downtown San Jose and several nights a week go out and witness to folks on the street, many homeless or in need) has a person seemed to truelly be thankful for the food we bought them. Everyone else when they hear we are not going to give them cash, and thus support their drug addiction or buy them a case of beer they aren't interested.

I think the Bible was right when it said that if a man doesn't work then he shouldn't eat. The only ones who have a right to not work and eat are those who can't, like the disabled and elderly.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've had similar experience with this kind of thing. When I worked for a dentist, I was the one who had to "ask for money" as my role. One day, a woman with a full-time job and normal home, car, etc., needed some expensive dental work and her part was several hundred dollars. She scheduled her appointment a few weeks away so she would time to "work her bum clothes." I told her I did not know what that meant.

She replies, "Oh, I just don't shower and put on these old bum clothes I have and I go down to the corner of such and such and stand there all day with a homeless, feed me sign. I make 100 bucks a day." This was back in the 1980s, so I imagine by now, you can make much better money posing as a homeless person.

I have NEVER given a "bum" a dime since that day. It isn't that I would not help people that are homeless and down on their luck. But I don't believe that those people with signs are necessarily really them.

There is a person near us who has a regular corner and he and his (fat) dog have been "working" there for years.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Here is one I learned from my parents. Never, ever, ever let someone live with your family.

My brother's best friend was out of work and about to lose his apartment so my parents being the good christian people offered a bedroom. Well, I fell in love and so did my mom. She ran off with him. It destroyed a family.......

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh boy... I could write a book! :gig

Most recent mistakes: Don't buy a house before you sell the old one.
Don't trust a real estate agent. Ever. Research all possible restrictions on properties yourself. Found out there's a covenant here but we're doing what we want anyway. Just biding our time until someone complains...
If you think you want dairy goats, just get the standard size. My ND's are adorable but do not provide nearly enough milk. SO now I'm getting standards and have 2 ND's that I should sell but I'm attached to them... It's a pickle.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I've had similar experience with this kind of thing. When I worked for a dentist, I was the one who had to "ask for money" as my role. One day, a woman with a full-time job and normal home, car, etc., needed some expensive dental work and her part was several hundred dollars. She scheduled her appointment a few weeks away so she would time to "work her bum clothes." I told her I did not know what that meant.

She replies, "Oh, I just don't shower and put on these old bum clothes I have and I go down to the corner of such and such and stand there all day with a homeless, feed me sign. I make 100 bucks a day." This was back in the 1980s, so I imagine by now, you can make much better money posing as a homeless person.

I have NEVER given a "bum" a dime since that day. It isn't that I would not help people that are homeless and down on their luck. But I don't believe that those people with signs are necessarily really them.

There is a person near us who has a regular corner and he and his (fat) dog have been "working" there for years.
I've heard of people who make $100,000 or more a year doing this type of thing, all tax free. They have nice cars, a beautiful home, and can take nice vacations. I never give money to people. If you're hungry, or need gas, I'll give you food or gas, but not money.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There was a consumer advocate show that tackled the panhandling issue. There are a lot of scammers doing it. One place in Denver said give no cash, give food if you want (a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread should feed a truly hungry person for quite some time). They also give coupons for people to give out. They seldom get people cashing them though because the panhandlers want cash.

Here is their advice...
"Panhandlers
how to respond panhandlers

There's no one way to deal with panhandlers. You need to assess each situation. But we can give you some pointers.

Avoid confrontation, even if being harassed. The hostility directed at you probably comes from the panhandler's situation. Remove yourself from the situation.

Respond to a request for money with information. Step 13 offers coupon booklets that you can hand out offering a free meal. Or, bone up on an organization you like that helps those in need and offer the panhandler information about that organization.

Some service providers publish brochures explaining where to get help. Carry these with you and offer them when asked for change. Or again, if you're in metro Denver you can use our 'free meal' coupons.

Even if you're not going to give, it's best to offer a smile and a polite response. But again, assess each situation. Avoid confrontation."
http://www.step13.org/

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I second never buy a new house before you sell the old one, sat with both for 2 years, double bills. Also be careful of relatives in get rich quick schemes that suddenly have found your e mail address after 2 years of being unable to contact you. "Ohio stay at home mom makes $15,000 a month" Yeah, right!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
And if your husband and his mortgage broker buddy suggest a home equity loan, just get out the baseball bat :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
And if your husband and his mortgage broker buddy suggest a home equity loan, just get out the baseball bat :D
X2

Latest posts