Scared after the Senate passed of the new "Stimulous" package "rant"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday was a lost day. I was so depressed after the Senate passed the new "Stimulous" package that I was in bed, in the fetal position, by 6 PM. :hide I feel that the people who were elected to legislate what was in the best interest of the United States and her people, have sold us down the river.

This new stimulous package has more pork in it than a can of SPAM. There are some things in it that may create some new jobs. . . but the cost of the package, in higher taxes on small business and people who have enough money to start businesses, will kill more jobs in the long run than will be created. Obama says that this package will create or SAVE 4 million jobs. I want to know how we will know how many jobs were SAVED. How do you know if a job was going to disapear, until it does? This administration, who sold the country a campaign promise of "hope and change", in two weeks has already shown that they are more of the same. The cost of this package will cripple this country. We will be in debt for the rest of my life and possibly the lives of my children and maybe even their children. The terrifying thing is that Congress is not the only one with the power to borrow, and leave the bill to the American people. The FED can do this as well, and has been doing it at a huge rate. The problem is with the whole disfunctional government, and not just the guy at the top. None of the agencies do their job to protect us and the Congress just ignores what is best for us and the nation. It makes me livid :somad

All the money that will be spent will not go to the people who need help. Many will still be unable to get the help that they need, while others will get fat off the government trough. Unfortunately, by wasteing these huge amounts of money, they are now consigning more people to the list of people in need. The tax debt created by such expenditures will only push people that were on the margins, just getting by without help, into poverty as the dollar sinks in value and the costs of the essentials rise.

We cannot spend our way out of this financial problem. We need to grow our economy by growing businesses. They will create new jobs here at home and products to sell around the world. Bailing out the "Big Guys" is not he way to help our economy. Many of them are outsourcing jobs and materials to other countries. Small businesses are not doing this. Unfortunately, small business (and the average American) no longer have anyone representing them in Washington. :he

I am afraid of what they will do next. I am trying to be as selfsufficient as I can but we are all interconnected, if only by all the taxes and fees we pay and the products and services that we must buy. I dont want to go back to a life style like that in the 1800's because our government has imploded from excess. I dont want to live in fear because there are riots and civil unrest due to the actions taken by our government. It all scares me. I never saw the potential for these things happening until yesterday. I now see the possiblity.:hide

Thank you all for letting me vent. I cannot spent too many days in or under my bed because of this. I have to get up and start trying to protect what little I will have left!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
WE need to start a revolt in this country. Period.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a petition you can sign at nostimulous.com. You can also call your congressmen and women if you have not already done so. I realize this may not make a difference in weather it is passed but we need to speak up. If we show indifference it will just get worse. I was so disappointed with the previous administrations passing the big bank bailout. For the most part these are the same people voting in these bills. What scares me is Obama said this is just the first leg. How many legs are there? Even scarier is why are they doing this? It appears someone wants to destroy the economy totally.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The first time I was ever on skis (downhill, I mean, not XC) I was in my 20s, I had the good fortune for it to be a late-winter weekday with drizzly conditions and poor snow. THus there was hardly anyone else there, and I could screw up all I wanted. I got the sort of basic 'go downhill, turn when necessary, stop when necessary' stuff down pretty quickly, and skiied most of the available slopes in a rough and ready sort of fashion for a couple hours (this was in VA, mind you, so it was all pretty tame stuff) til I was feeling marginally competent.

So there was this section of one hill that had moguls.

Nobody was around to chase me off :p so I decided I wanted to figure out how to ski down over/thru the mogul section. It shouldn't have been *that* hard, right, just turn appropriately to sort of thread your way through. Except of course I kept falling splat on my bum, sometimes rather spectacularly, after just one or two 'bumps'. No matter WHAT. I kept at it for forty-five minutes. I am sure I did considerable damage to their nicely-groomed moguls (nobody chased me off, though :p). I just COULD NOT get it. 100% failure rate. I'd make one or two turns/bumps and then blammo, lying in the wet snow.

And then, fog moved in. I don't even know how safe it was to be out there on the slope (again, nobody chased me off, so I stayed :p) because you could scarcely see two yards in front of you. Really. Absolute pea soup.

It cured my moguls problem immediately! All of a sudden, with the fog in place, I could come down and go bounce bounce bounce bounce, nice little turns on the side of each bump, right through the whole section. Ta da. No problem!

Then the fog went away again. As did my ability to get through the mogul section.

:p

The problem was that when I could see where I was going, I was worrying about what was coming up and trying to specially prepare for and anticipate it.

Whereas with the pea-soup fog, I was reduced to skiiing the bit that I was actually *on*.

What this taught me was that skiing the bit of the mountain you're actually ON works one heck of a lot better than focusing too far ahead on what seems to be coming up (but never quite doess, because while your attention was distracted you've actually headed somewhere slightly else).

You have no way of knowing for SURE whether your fears about the effects of the current administration's policies will be borne out; and in any case, who knows what else is going to happen that you have no way of anticipating at all.

So, you can get yourself all off-balance and messed up and possibly flat on your back in the snow with worrying about what seems to be coming up fifty feet ahead; or you can just focus on the part of the mountain that is actually under your skis right now plus the two yards ahead that you *can* see for absolute sure, and stay upright and balanced and able to deal with the bumps that come along.

And be glad you live somewhere that the things you fear have not come to pass (you can add 'yet' if you really want ;)), as opposed to being a regular reality (often far worse than what you;re worrying about) now and for most generations in living memory. Really, it is a big luxury to worry about losing a job, when you consider how many people have never HAD one.

JME,

Pat

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The saying was going around for years in the earlier "self sufficient" groups before Y2K, "if Y2K doesnt hit, the economic colapse will." Well I guess they were right about 1 of them. I beleive it all started back when NAFTA was passed and allowed alot of our jobs go over seas. The people fighting it then said we wouldnt feel the effects for awhile. Well, its been awhile and we are feeling something now! The economy had just been proped up for years, each president and congress doing what they could do to keep it proped up knowing that sooner or later it was going to fall. The fuel prices going crazy and the senate and the congress just letting them do what they want in the name of a profit is what realy sentr this country into a landslide, then the loan problems emerged about what the banks had been doing, (which I think alot of us new already! How can someone making $15 an hour afford a $250,000 house?) throwing money at people to get them in these big mortgages and then passing them off quickly so they make there money. Screwing the little guy. Thats what its all about now, screwing the little people.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
T

So, you can get yourself all off-balance and messed up and possibly flat on your back in the snow with worrying about what seems to be coming up fifty feet ahead; or you can just focus on the part of the mountain that is actually under your skis right now plus the two yards ahead that you *can* see for absolute sure, and stay upright and balanced and able to deal with the bumps that come along.

And be glad you live somewhere that the things you fear have not come to pass (you can add 'yet' if you really want ;)), as opposed to being a regular reality (often far worse than what you;re worrying about) now and for most generations in living memory. Really, it is a big luxury to worry about losing a job, when you consider how many people have never HAD one.

JME,

Pat
I'm too am looking at the big picture, hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. The stimulus pkg DOES have some good things in it and SOME people are going to get jobs and more money out of it including some of our servicemen who are having to utilize WIC and other programs to make ends meet. And we had already bankrupted our children and grandchildren's future with the last administration so maybe if we can get some people to work, some people better educated, some cheaper energy and some people in better health at least their quality of life will be better even if they do have to pay out the nose for it.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
And Obama flat out lied at that press conference the other night. He said there was no pork (oh yea, he said earmarks, but he's just parsing words at that point) in the bill. Unbelievable.

Edited to fix a horrible typo - typing one handed on the phone, I left out the word 'no'

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Having spent the past week here at work watching the majority of my co-workers (which is why you haven't seen me around) pack up their desks after having their jobs eliminated, with no new jobs to go to, and their health insurance ending soon, I realize that something must be done. I don't know any more than the next guy (or world-class economist) whether or not the stimulus plan is going to be the ultimate solution or not, but we do all know that tax cuts and rebates have not worked, and doing nothing has not worked. I work with the historical documents of Congress, and one of the types of publications I see constantly is budget requests from days of old. I remember our whole department being shocked when we hit the budget requests made by FDR during the Great Depression. The amounts were numbers we'd never seen on any previous government publications, billions and billions of dollars. I would imagine the American public was feeling much like we are today. I take some comfort in that because fortunately, all that spending worked. Let's hope for the same positive outcome this time around. And Pat, thank you for the moguls story, good analogy! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
And Obama flat out lied at that press conference the other night. He said there was pork (oh yea, he said earmarks, but he's just parsing words at that point) in the bill. Unbelievable.
So, are you saying there actually is NOT any pork at all? In which case, I would for the first time be thrilled by a lie :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What goes up must come down.

We ran on a high in this country....now time for the low. It will be no worse than the depression and I think we will bounce back faster.

Just be prepared. Hard times will come to all of us. "They" will work on this all they want but the natural cycle is going to happen. We can't fix that truly even with throwing money everywhere....hoping for a fast fix.

Ride out the storm people. Be smart and alert. No job, do all you can to scrimp, save, work anywhere at any job.....now is the time to "do what you must" to make it thru hard times.

Everyone hang in there.....the future is the future and no telling what truly will happen.

Prepare a little but have fun today. Don't worry too much---"someone" is going to take care of us...:lol:

Hmm....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.