Scented vinegar for laundry

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
snapshot said:
I show up at the laundrey mat with a glass jar of vinegar every week-- including today. The girls who run the place have never said a word. It is in a glass "instant tea" jar. Maybe they think it is vodka!!!!:D
:yuckyuck

Now, how did I miss this last post? That's hilarious! Don't forget to put it in a little brown paper sack.

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
snapshot said:
I show up at the laundrey mat with a glass jar of vinegar every week-- including today. The girls who run the place have never said a word. It is in a glass "instant tea" jar. Maybe they think it is vodka!!!!:D
:yuckyuck

BayouGypsy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I have been making the powdered detergent for a few years now and it works great! My sister in law makes it, too because my niece has horrible eczema and can't tolerate store bought detergents. I do use the white vinegar as fabric softener and love the idea of adding EO or conditioner and even the citrus peels. But I wonder if a few drops of perfume would work, too? I have some without alcohol added to it, so I guess it's basically EO. What do ya'll think?

nv2kenu

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have been using vinegar for years as a fabric softener. I have read that you are to use 1/2 C to 1 C to rinse cycle, but I just pour it into the small dispenser in my front load washer. The only problem is with fleece or wool clothing. I love the idea of the orange rinds, and gonna give this a go. Are others noticing a scent on their clothing with this method? I cannot see myself using EO's, what with the cost. I'll save that for lotions! :)

I also use vineger in place of bleach to disinfect, and lemon juice to whiten.

Thanks.

Natasha

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ChaneyLakegirl said:
I'm curious as to what you clean with the vinegar/orange oil cleaner besides adding to vinegar for fabric softner?
I use it to clean the microwave. Though water would work as well... I take the hot vinegar to wipe down cupboards (it cuts through grime buildup) and with baking soda to clean the sink.

Speaking of baking soda.... Arm and Hammer baking soda in the 12 pound pouch... can you use that like the A & H in the box?

:idunno

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
ChaneyLakegirl said:
I'm curious as to what you clean with the vinegar/orange oil cleaner besides adding to vinegar for fabric softner?
OMG. That is amazing stuff. I used it on our stove the other day. White topped gas stove, and it had gotten REALLY dirty. WAY overdue for a cleaning. I sprayed down the whole top really good with the citrus vinegar, and let it sit for a bit, and then mopped up the excess liquid and then went to rubbing. There were only two SMALL spots that needed the addition of baking soda and a toothbrush to get off the stove. It was SPARKLING white with VERY little effort... less effort than store bought cleaners. I am SOLD!

(I don't bother scenting the vinegar in the laundry, as long as the laundry comes out smelling clean, I'm ok with that...)

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just made a bunch of lemon peel in olive oil (a quart of oil)...can this be used to scent something...what can I do with this? can I add this mix to something to scent it? I will let it sit for a few weeks I guess...read to do this on another thread..

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Leta said:
I use white vinegar with essential oils for fabric softener. I put cedarwood oil in to keep bugs out of our clothes. It works! I'm not sure how it would work with commercial detergent- I made the switch to homemade fabric softener at the same time that I made the switch to homemade laundry powder.

I also use lavender and eucalyptus oils in fabric softener, but I'm going to try this citrus peel setup. Right now, I put citrus peels in a pot of water on the stove, and it cleans up the smell of our house. (I find potpourri cloying, the citrus is fresher smell. I also have baking soda, incense, and candles, but I don't buy commercial air fresheners. Bleh.)

I don't use conditioner, so I won't buy that just to put it in. (Shampoo bar + 50% ACV-50% green tea rinse. Coconut oil on the ends *before* washing, and only when they are really dry. And yes, I have long, very thick hair and this works just fine once the transitional period is over.)
Still learning so don't laugh :/ What is a shampoo bar and what does you hair smell like when you rinse it with the ACV & green tea rinse (how do you make the rinse?)? Also when you put in the coconut oil, what do you mean by transitional period?

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
snapshot said:

Latest posts