School Kids...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Can you explain a kindle to me? My dd is a book worm, so it might be a possibility.....
Its an Amazon Digital reader, there are a few others on the market like the Sony and the Nook.
Basically I download books from the internet and then he can read them on the kindle, its about the size of a book, but super skinny. It can hold thousands of books, and also has a "read to me" feature for some books, I tried it on one that had that option and it sounded very "robot" like, but its not supposed to really be for that, that feature is for folks to use if they're going to be driving or something like that.

I wish they would make school books available in digital format, it would make that backpack much easier to carry! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B002Y27P3M/ref=sa_menu_kdp3w3

We didn't have the option for the black Kindle when we got ours, so we have the white one.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Cool. I just looked at the book downloads--some of them are free. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking, but generally , it seemed the price range for downloads is between $0 and $10?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Cool. I just looked at the book downloads--some of them are free. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking, but generally , it seemed the price range for downloads is between $0 and $10?
Yes, my son's books are generally around $6. I did find a website that was just starting out and they had a "glitch" in the system that couldn't limit your downloads. I got a month membership and downloaded hundreds of books.

You can download from some other sites... some are cheaper than amazon for sure. but you have to link the Kindle to the computer to do that, it can't download via the 3G network as it does with Amazon purchases.

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The library in Ohio has downloads for rent. I will be using it for the first time next week when my husband and I leave to visit our son in Savannah, GA. It makes the drive a lot more enjoyable. We started with the rentals on the shelf but have exhausted all choices. So now I am going to try the downloads. I'm not sure if every library has it, but in Ohio it's called ebooks.