Schooling your child to void his bowels outside on the leash!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So our son Argos has only lived with one other family in his seven years of existence. And, with his first family, he lived in a house that had a fenced in yard. With us he had 8 acres to run around on. So, he's never had a problem with urinating while on a leash, but he hasn't voided his bowels in over a day. How do I get him to do this?
Thanks!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your talking about your dog right??? Is he not alliwed to free range now? In the desert my dog is on a 50 ft rope hooked to the trailer. It was a problem at first but adventually he'd had to go. He went behind the camper on the other side out of sight.

Maybe you could give him a long leed outside??

G

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How long are you walking him? I doubt he'll be able to resist on a long enough walk, exploring those eight acres! I'm talking 30-60 minutes a day. I have a large fenced yard but both my dogs do better with daily walks outside the yard. Dogs are programmed to roam and walks satisfy this need. Eliminating is about marking territory, and walks are perimeter marking, so get your shoes on and get out there. Older dogs especially need walking to get the bowels moving in a healthy way. Younger dogs will be better behaved in general if they can burn some energy and get the mental stimulation of a walk.

One of my dogs will only poo in brush or tall grass. When I used to bring him to my folk's place in Maine in the winter, I'd have to pick some tree branches and stick them in the snowbank so he could go. He'd dance around, looking for the "right spot" and couldn't find it with all the deep snow everywhere and ten foot banks. :rolleyes:

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love the title of this thread. I envisioned a three year old boy in the yard looking around all upset. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't worry....he WILL eventually go :lol:

just alot of walks to be sure it isn't in the house :lol:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't read the other posts but when we moved overseas our dog had to walk on a leash for all potty breaks, it was tough at first but it was easier to go where another dog had gone and she would go over the top, it will become second nature soon :) Forgot to mention we also used the same cue for outside like "potty lets potty" kinda thing.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a large yard, but it isn't fenced. I trained our dog to voice command. I tell him 'Po*p, and he does. Makes life easier :D Of course, we had him since he was a baby, so I don't know how that would work with an older dog. Ours isn't leashed either - everything is done with voice or hand commands with him. I suppose I am of no help on this subject then :p

*Was hoping to learn some tricks to use on my DS when I read the title :lol:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
One of my dogs will only poo in brush or tall grass. When I used to bring him to my folk's place in Maine in the winter, I'd have to pick some tree branches and stick them in the snowbank so he could go. He'd dance around, looking for the "right spot" and couldn't find it with all the deep snow everywhere and ten foot banks. :rolleyes:
:gig I thought my dog was the only one who did that!! Either that, or she "backs up" & goes on the side of a hill!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
freemotion said:
:gig I thought my dog was the only one who did that!! Either that, or she "backs up" & goes on the side of a hill!
Nope, mine too, but she doesn't back over the hill, she's usually head down, ready to topple into the ditch at any second. :idunno

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
colowyo0809, you kill me. :lol: You do have a way with thread titles. I wasn't sure who you were talking about - given some of your comments here over time. :hide :p