Schwans

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to do the Schwans thing when I was growing up, and I do remember the guy being really pushy! It got to the point that my mother would make me go to the door and tell the guy my mother wasnt home and she didnt want anything. It was the only thing that worked since there was nothing more he could say to a 10 year old (although I almost think I remember him asking me if I wanted to buy anything, once in a while :p)! If we tried the hiding thing he would knock for a long time, and then sometimes he would just go sit in his truck in the driveway for a while and wait for us to come home I guess! We mostly bought ice cream from him, so once ice cream season ended, thats when hed become a pest, even though my mother would tell him to only come every other month, hed still show up every month. Im not much of a vanilla ice cream fan, but their big buckets of vanilla ice cream (2 or 3 gallons?) were just delicious!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My friend Barb did Schwans. She loved it but slowly ordered less and less cause of price.

I never did it. Never just bothered I guess...came close once but just didn't.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Is this a regional thing? I have never in my life heard of it til now, and I grew up in PA, lived in NC for 6 yrs, then OH and NJ and W NY for several years each. It's sure a new one on me.

Just curious,

Pat

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A friend of ours recently told the Schwan man to come to our house and told us after the fact that the driver would be coming to our house. I was all set to turn him away (love their stuff, but way too pricey if you're following a budget) but as it turned out, the Schwan man was a guy I've known for several years and was a customer of Dad's business, which I was a part of for a few years. Needless to say, I caved and placed an order. Now I'm having a hard time trying to come up with a way to get rid of him without being rude. Guess I could try hiding behind the door!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Is this a regional thing? I have never in my life heard of it til now, and I grew up in PA, lived in NC for 6 yrs, then OH and NJ and W NY for several years each. It's sure a new one on me.

Just curious,

Pat
Not sure if it's a regional thing or not? My mom has been buying from Schwans since I was a little kid, and we are in Ohio.

Their website is www.schwans.com and you can put your zip code in to see if they deliver.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:

Just curious,

Pat
I think you may just have been lucky. I've lived on both coasts, and have never placed an order, or even looked sideways at a Schwans guy, but I've still had them come to the door and knock, and be pushy to the point of me considering calling the police.

When my husband and I were first married, we moved four times in five years, and at every house I had a Schwans episode.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am sure glad I have NEVER had any episodes lllike the ones that you all speak of. As a matter of fact, I have been forgotten several times and had to call them to come visit me.
The vegies are quite reasonable for the quality and quantity you get. My husband gives me the evil eye :) whenever I try to order the other stuff. I guess he's keeping me honest.
I like their food so much that, with my addictive personality, I have a hard time telling myself no.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like the Schwan man. I guess I have never felt like hiding from him. He's the equvilent of a milk man here in ND. If we don't want anything he doesn't push it and he always comes back on the days he says he will. I buy the icecream bars and ice pops for sales. That way I make my money back.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so glad I don't have to make a living in sales. I think sales are one of the hardest ways to earn money. You need to push sometimes to get an income! ugh

I know I don't have the personality for sales at all.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I am so glad I don't have to make a living in sales. I think sales are one of the hardest ways to earn money. You need to push sometimes to get an income! ugh

I know I don't have the personality for sales at all.
Ditto! I stunk at selling Girl Scout cookies!!