SCOOOOOORRRRRRRE!!!!! Singer sewing machine and cabinet! pics p2

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gee, those 2 little kicker bales of hay that I got Friday don't seem so cool anymore! :(

My mom calls yesterday to ask what the girls need for clothes, because they were at a huge rummage sale. Go through the list - again, and then remind her that I need a sewing machine. I get told, if I find a good one, I'm getting it for me. Grrr.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
saw a really nice one for ten bucks at a garage sale yesterday. Was the mom's and she was too old to use it, according to daughter and daughtrer wasnt interested. It was worth a couple of hundred at least. Just didnt need it, so I passed. If I had the storage I would of bought it and stored it and sold it later. Someone will score.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I hope to have time to get it in from the garage this week and take it for a spin! I don't even know if it takes "normal" bobbins, I hope so!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I hope to have time to get it in from the garage this week and take it for a spin! I don't even know if it takes "normal" bobbins, I hope so!
Have fun!!! I have a new Singer and had to email them about something. Got a great response. I'm sure they'll be able to help you figure it out if you can't on your own!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It should, if it electric. I think that the bullet bobbins were really pretty primitive, and only on the older machines. My treadle Singer, that I got last year, uses the bullet bobbins (never knew anything about them before :p). I have a site bookmarked that sells Singer accessories, including those old bobbins; if you need it let me know and I'll post it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Never even thought about bobbins! I have an old treadle machine that I've never used. It belonged to my grandmother. I hope to get it set up this winter.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Got the machine into the house and started cleaning it. It is in pristine condition, barely used. The top of the cabinet has a lot of water damage, which is common for these old machines when they end up used as a plant stand. The drawers are perfectly clean and free of the grayish lint that gets into every crevice of a much-used machine and cabinet. The dust in the machine was not typical sewing dust, either. The booklet (great one! Very detailed and helpful!) was in very good condition and it looked like the accessory box was barely opened.

Problem is, the motor barely turns the machine. So I will clean, clean, clean, then oil it thoroughly, then pull out as much of the motor grease as I can and re-pack it. Then try it again. It should be a honey of a machine if I can get it going. The serial number indicates that it was made in 1953 in New Jersey. It is gear driven, no belt. A lady in my congregation used to be a seamstress and worked in a Singer store for a while and taught sewing, and she has been very helpful to me. She confirmed what the booklet said....put kerosene in all the oiling points, run the machine, wipe it down, then oil it if it has been standing a long time without being used. I hope 58 years is not too long! My friend says it is a good machine, and was used also for light industrial use.

singersewingmachine1953001.jpg

singersewingmachine1953003.jpg

singersewingmachine1953004.jpg

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sweet! I have an old Graybar sewing machine. It needs a total tuneup, but I have all the parts and it does work. Until I fix it, the cabinet gets used as a TV stand and I use the Brother I picked up at Hellmart :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I hate my Hellmart Brother! Can't wait to get rid of it. Thanks for the reminder, craigslist, here I come..... :p

Latest posts