SCOOOOOORRRRRRRE!!!!! Singer sewing machine and cabinet! pics p2

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL Mine is still working but I also have an old Singer backup. I think it knows it can be replaced :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Isn't it gorgeous? I worked on it again tonight for a bit. I finished the q-tip cleaning and next up is the kerosene treatment and re-oiling. It is hard to turn the wheel even by hand. :/ Everything looks brand-new inside, so I really hope it is just gunked up with old, hardened oil. The casing to the wiring is cracked and even missing in small spots where it joins the machine....is this dangerous? Should I have it re-wired?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Free, beautiful machine you have there! I hope you get it going. I have a Brother too, but I got mine at Kame-apart (K-mart :) ). I've had it for several years now, and it actually works pretty well, but it's not as nice looking as yours. I don't sew as often as I used to either, but I have a list of projects a mile long that I should get started on. Hope you'll share your first sewing project with us!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Isn't it gorgeous? I worked on it again tonight for a bit. I finished the q-tip cleaning and next up is the kerosene treatment and re-oiling. It is hard to turn the wheel even by hand. :/ Everything looks brand-new inside, so I really hope it is just gunked up with old, hardened oil. The casing to the wiring is cracked and even missing in small spots where it joins the machine....is this dangerous? Should I have it re-wired?
hmmm. I'm EXTREMELY cautious when it comes to anything electrical and I would replace it. I never mess with frayed or cracked cords.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I'll get the cleaning/oiling/greasing done first to make sure it works well, then look into re-wiring it. My dad can probably do that for me, he went to school to be an electrical engineer. If he could work on NASA projects I hope he can re-wire a sewing machine! :p Meanwhile, it stays unplugged and I turn the wheel by hand.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I finally got it cleaned by "oiling" it with kerosene and then running it hard, then doing a bit of wiping and re-oiled it with Singer oil. It works great now! There is a lot of noise around the feed dogs or the shuttle, not sure why. I'll ask my friend tomorrow when I see her.

I wanted to thread it to take it for a spin and I discovered that the spool pin is missing.... :/

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad you got it running! :clap Maybe there is some dust or thread caught in the feed dogs or shuttle?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
They were taken out and thoroughly cleaned and the shuttle race oiled. I asked my friend about it and she said the older machines were much noisier, to thread it and try it out. I haven't had a chance to yet. She suggested putting something in the spool pin hole so I can try it now, without waiting to buy a spool pin. Like a small crochet hook or finishing nail with a bit of tissue wrapped around it to protect the threads in the hole. Gonna try to find time to do that tomorrow.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Really cool. I have a portable Singer very much like that. It belonged to my Ex's great grandmother (so some good can come from any disaster, huh?) and I think it is a 1940 something model. All I know is that is works, and works well. Since I can't do any fancy sewing, it does all I need. The thing can sew thru canvas duck or stout wool!
Foot pedal does have a little short in it, though. It heats up a bit...