Scored @ thrift shop and recovered kitchen chairs. PICS

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I scored 4 yards of vintage Waverly fabric at the thrifty yesterday for a buck and today I decided to recover the kitchen chairs.
1044_chairs_005.jpg

First I removed the cushions from the chairs. Locate screws on bottom and remove.
This is also a great time to clean all the schwag that gets caught in the hard to clean places.
1044_chairs_001.jpg

Next I took my handy dandy screw driver and pried off old staples. This is the most tedious part of the job. Wish I had a staple remover.
1044_chairs_002.jpg

Then because I don't have a staple remover I used pliers to remove staples completely.
1044_chairs_004.jpg

Laying out the fabric I figured how much each chair needed and cut 4 pieces.
1044_chairs_007.jpg

Pulling the fabric tight, I start on the sides, staple. I also had to do this on the floor for leverage. Then fold corners and staple back and front edges.
1044_chairs_008.jpg

Screw the seats back to the frame and you have yourself a almost new chair.
1044_chairs_009.jpg

All for a buck!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oooo, nice! I just got a free antique rocker that needs to have the seat recovered, and bought an antique piano stool to re-upholster for my office for $20. It is supposed to rain next week, so when it drives me indoors, I'll get it done. Thanks for the inspiration!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love thrift store finds like that. It is even better, when you can get your fixit up project done right away. Nice job!

I have an old comfy shell shaped chair that I need to reupholster. It's a little more complicated than the chairs you did and so I keep postponing it....:rolleyes:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very Nice!! I love the cherry colors. I used to have upholstered kitchen chairs. I covered them with new fabric about every 6 months. Kids can be so messy.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:thumbsup I just friggin spent $100 on fabric to cover our loveseat. It currently looks like it was pulled out a dumpster, full of rips and cat claw scratches. "bout time I recovered the junky thing, I'm tired of covering it with blankets.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's awesome! Love your fabric!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great deal on that fabric! Thrift stores have gotten smarter and tend to know what they "have" these days. So, doubly great! Love all the pics and instruction too. My chairs are currently just wood, but I have men and just don't want to spend all my time fussing at them over my fabrics :lol:

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow, that is a score! around here, a yard of yucky knit fabric all poly is like 2 bucks, your waveryly fabric would have been around $10. So nice!

and I like your rug in the background, the little round one. Did you crochet it?