ScottyG and some random thoughts

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Moving does kind of stink, but before you know it you will have tons of friends and it will be home to you. I never thought this would be my home...I left a HUGE family behind...60 cousins on my mom's side alone and just as many of my dad's...aunts and uncles that were close to the same age as me! Never had to "make" friends until we moved here. But if you get involved with activities with the kids, friends just happen...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I can't imagine not being around people I know and can depend on, especially with a little one.

It's great that you are getting your little girl used to the water. My mom always said, "Don't go near the water until you can swim!" I probably still wouldn't know how to swim if my aunt hadn't snuck me to swim lessons one summer while she babysat me. :lol:

I'm sure you'll meet some nice friends soon, 3 months isn't that long, so hang in there.

Sorry about your friends back in Wis. You can still be there for them by phone, email, etc. I know it's not the same, but you can only do what you can do, ya know.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I remember those swim lessons! At least she's not screaming like one of the kids in my son's class. This child shrieked just thinking about getting into the water, shrieked the whole time she was in and didn't stop until she was taken out. For 8 weeks.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Swimming is so important. I am horrified of the water. I use to swim some but was never really comfortable. So when I almost drown that was it. I think if I had #1 been a better swimmer it either would never have happened or #2 - I would have gone right back in.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
It's mostly a problem in the marketing of goods for sale, which really (let's face it) parenting magazines are just a front for selling me baby crap.
Yeah, I'm not sure how important or worthwhile it is to knock yourself out trying to change an industry (parenting magazines) that's such a tool anyhow (in whatever sense you want to take the term ;)) Books and conversations with other parents are EVER so much better source of information, if you ask me.

Scotty, your hailstorm is *here* now, btw. Or one of its close relatives. Honest. Small world!

Pat, without much time to read all these journal thingies but making sure to keep up with yours, partly but not entirely because of the parent-home-with-small-kids thing :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Guilty. I say Tony babysits for me. I don't know why, just cause anyone who takes Nicole for me, for whatever reason, is babysitting...LOL

He takes her to the farm to work, to the store, to the processor, etc. when she begs, so I always say Tony is babysitting for me.....LOL---ME BAD!!

just a habit I guess.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Guilty. I say Tony babysits for me. I don't know why, just cause anyone who takes Nicole for me, for whatever reason, is babysitting...LOL

He takes her to the farm to work, to the store, to the processor, etc. when she begs, so I always say Tony is babysitting for me.....LOL---ME BAD!!
Oh whatever! I don't mean to be the word police. You can say whatever you want about Tony... it's your right! I just don't like people making the assumptions about me, you know? Like, my wife can say "Scott, that's STUPID" and she's right, but if someone else says it's stupid, I'm all "HEY! don't be calling me stupid, JERK." Terrible example, I know. But all I mean to say is, say whatever you want about your hubby! Go for it!

Meanwhile, with the baby swimming... I'm very lucky in that my baby just loves pretty much everything we do with her in public. We eat with her on our laps in restaurants, take her to grocery stores shopping, play in the water, go on hikes in the nature center nearby... she's a very well-behaved one in general, but especially when other people are around, she perks up and tries to make friends. We had about 2 weeks of the dreaded "stranger anxiety" a couple months ago, but it passed quick. So swim class is a no-brainer.

Also, my wife was a camp counselor back when she was younger, and even did some lifeguarding at lakes near her home... so we're big believers in putting kids in water. Secretly, I think we're both hoping she'll turn out to be a play-in-the-mud, jump-in-lakes, sleep-under-the-stars, tomboy sort of girl. Or if not the tomboy part, at least the play outdoors and get filthy part.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know --what we say is just what we say. I call all people babysitters for Nicole..LOL-LOL--no biggie! :)

I hear ya on the tomboy. Nicole rode a banana bike at Dads today and crashed 3 times going down the hill on the driveway. Flipped over once. She laughed like crazy. Nothing stops her.....constantly said, I want to do it again, again, again....after each crash...LOL----I like strong kids. She sure is one. She can hang with me and the goat herd very well....better than adults can handle the goats..HA HA

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Spent all day with the baby today while the wife was working hard... but the weather was really cruddy (cold, rain, a bit of hail, a lot of wind) so we just stayed indoors and rolled around on the floor all day, pausing occasionally for some bouncing in the Johnny Jump-Up, or some getting in the front-carrier to do some laundry. She's just so much fun right now.

Today, she started discovering that she doesn't have to be the only one doing silly things all day... no, she can make ME do silly things too. So she, in the middle of a goofy peekaboo session, held the blanket up to my face, and laughed hysterically. Also, I usually give her the spoon to play with at the end of her meals. She loves to play with it, and I figure she's getting practice holding it. So after about 5 minutes of chewing on the spoon, she held it out to my face, and when I bit it, she giggled up a storm. So much fun!

Otherwise, an uneventful day. Made a surprisingly delicious salad out of random things around the house: some lettuce I bought on "manager's special" (read: getting old but still okay) at the store, topped with some pickled beets I made a few weeks ago, some sliced green tomatoes, some carrot, and roasted sunflower seeds. Plus sesame ginger dressing. Had no idea if it would be good, but it was delicious! I've never really used green tomatoes before, but a local farmer was selling some last week, and they were pretty much the only vegetable at the farm market, so I grabbed them. Yay!

And I'm about to go make some more pears for the baby. In the interest of not getting too caught up in this journal thing, and in case anybody else wants to make baby food (it's so easy, really), I'll post the recipe in the food section.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I made baby food for both my children as far as the vegies and meat went. I did not have access to a lot of fresh fruit except buying it at the grocery store which cost more than the baby food.
You have to know that was a long time ago and I made baby food because it was cheaper, not because I knew it was better for them. LOL
My son is almost 35 and my daughter is on the uphill side of 29. No I am not old, I just started young.
But DD and I have already discussed the baby food making process. I can't wait to read your recipes.

Latest posts