ScottyG and some random thoughts

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well most things are geared at Mom, just the way it is..LOL
Mom is the main consumer for baby items and they are going for mass sales....so they hit the main person, Mom. Understandable, but yes the tide is turning and Dads are just as important as primary caregivers.

I kinda get the same thing when I read Tony's hunting magazine and such. All geared at guys....not much woman items really and they aren't going after my dollar, more the guys dollar.

I know it irks you but don't waste your energy...LOL...you will be using enough energy to keep up with that little girl..LOL

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
ScottyG - I can understand your rant. You are going against the stereotypical grain. Since the beginning of time, women have been seen as the primary caregivers to children. So, you just roll up your sleeves and jump right in there with them. I'm sure your wife encounters many of the same ole' opions like "What is she doing climbing the corporate ladder with a small child at home?" So, same to her: roll up your sleeves and jump in there. The times, they are a'changin.

I rocked my DS to sleep every single night for almost 2 years. That was my favorite snuggly time. He did sleep in his own bed from the first night we brought him home, tho. Even as a toddler, if he fell alseep with us, he asked if he could go back to his own bed.

And BeeKissed, the partner in my OB's practice told me if I gained any more weight, I was going to birth a calf. I gained 63 lbs. Thought that was pretty crude since he was overweight by more than that. DS weighed 8 lb 12 oz. and I lost the rest in less than 6 weeks. So, HA - he is still overweight.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never thought about the hunting magazines, but good point!

I guess the part that really irks me is that there are ENDLESS articles about "how can I get my husband more involved?" and "why does my husband always make ME decide on baby stuff?" But then the same magazines that talk about how to get men more involved are the ones that intentionally exclude men in their way of discussing babies. It would be SO easy to say the same things about baby-raising with language that occasionally included both genders, but they specifically never do that, and then they constantly wonder aloud, "why aren't men more involved?"

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ScottyG- Look at it like this. You are a pioneer in the world of raising babies. You can show the world how well men can raise babies and be a shining example on a hill. You are forming the next generation. The most important and under appreciated of all jobs!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ScottyG- Start your own magazine. Gear it to PARENTS. Write a Book or just write the editors of those magazines and rant at them. Who knows it might work.
6 years ago I went on a letter writting spree to hunting publications and clothing manufacturers for hunters. (Like Farmer Chick and you, it made me mad). I looked for a year for a pair of snake proof boots in womens sizes. Never found them. Now they make them and I have choices.
No I don't think I really had any impact on that. But at least they knew how I felt though and probably they received enough input to at least start considering it. Or I like to think they at least ask around.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
ScottyG- Look at it like this. You are a pioneer in the world of raising babies. You can show the world how well men can raise babies and be a shining example on a hill. You are forming the next generation. The most important and under appreciated of all jobs!
If by "shining example on a hill" and "pioneer," you mean "guy who knows how to eat leftovers with one hand and tickle an upside-down baby with the other, all while ignoring ringing phones," then I'm guilty as charged.

2dream said:
Start your own magazine. Gear it to PARENTS. Write a Book or just write the editors of those magazines and rant at them. Who knows it might work.
I've written the editors a couple of times, but you're right... I should be more proactive. Actually, in the book world, there are lots of excellent dad resources out there, and gender-neutral parenting books. It's mostly a problem in the marketing of goods for sale, which really (let's face it) parenting magazines are just a front for selling me baby crap. Hm. I shall continue on my little quest!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Never thought about the hunting magazines, but good point!

I guess the part that really irks me is that there are ENDLESS articles about "how can I get my husband more involved?" and "why does my husband always make ME decide on baby stuff?" But then the same magazines that talk about how to get men more involved are the ones that intentionally exclude men in their way of discussing babies. It would be SO easy to say the same things about baby-raising with language that occasionally included both genders, but they specifically never do that, and then they constantly wonder aloud, "why aren't men more involved?"
It's because alot of husbands AREN'T involved. You and my DH are the exceptions, not the norm. My DH was a stay at home dad for awhile when I was the one working outside of the home. Now we are both SAH parents, and we love it! We are parenting together, and our kids are better for it, IMO, but not all parents get that option anymore.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know about it not being the norm, cause all my friends and Tony's guys at work are all active dads in their kids lives that I have seen. Now granted it is a small slice of the population, but more are getting involved cause of 2 incomes needed, or the woman wants to pursue a career and dad volunteers to stay home and switch roles, etc. Plus alot of dads are divorced and parent alone on weekends...so I think Dads are more invovled than ever in a way. Divorce is a nasty thing for kids but it happens and alot of dads take over alone. (I know, there are some bad ones too..LOL)

ScottyG
you are right...hunting mags might not gear at women, but they aren't writing articles that say---why isn't my wife more involved with my hunting, how can I change her? LOL-LOL

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Great journal, ScottyG!

Just wanted to put in my vote for dual parenting :) I'm very happy to say that all of our friends and family have very involved moms and dads. I'm not saying it's divided 50/50 yet, but it's a whole lot better than when I was growing up.

Yay! Go guys! It's so good for everyone in the family to have dads as involved in the parenting as moms!

Here's another one to annoy you, ScottyG. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me when someone comments on my husband "babysitting" the kids. Excuse me? I thought that was called parenting!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals - Ugh! I hate the "babysitting" thing. Oooh ooh ooh, here's another one. Any time she's wearing bright colored clothing or her fun mismatched socks that a friend bought us, everyone says things like, "Well, DADDY must have dressed you today..." As if moms can't put silly clothes on babies! And dads can't POSSIBLY make an outfit that matches. I could do that, but silly outfits are more fun!

Anyway...

Today we took the little one to her first of 6 "swim" classes being offered for free by students here who are training to be swim teachers. I put "swim" in quotes because she's 7 months old, so mostly she flails around and watches people go by and tries to drink the pool. Anyway, it was kind of hysterical, because the teachers would say things like, "Okay, when I say GO, kick your legs! Ready..." and the baby would be all, "I don't speak English, so I'm just going to do whatever I want and laugh at your funny faces." Because seriously, who tries to play "Simon Says" with a 7-month-old baby??

Otherwise, just a calm day. Crazy hail-storm went through tonight, which was neat to look at from indoors, and all the dark helped the baby fall asleep. Had a friend over for lunch...

WAIT. Yes, a friend. We moved here 3 months ago, and this is the first time someone has come over to hang out. I really need to find people around here to be friends with, but I don't make friends easily, and everyone I run into who works with us at the college... well, they live an hour away and commute so we can't ever hang out. But yes, we had a friend over today, and made her a frittata from some local eggs and peppers and onions, plus some sausage and cheese from the store. It was tasty. Of course, our friend was only here for half an hour, because she too lives an hour away and just happened to be in town and had a lunch break. GAH. Need local contacts.

We went to the doctor's office the other day and there was a spot on the paperwork for "local emergency contact," and we had to leave it blank because the closest people we know are 60 miles away, and we don't even know them very well. Booooo. Meanwhile, our very best friend back in Wisconsin (where we moved here from) is having a really rough week, and her spouse is away for 2 funerals (ugh) and we can't even be there to comfort her. Moving kind of stinks.

Anyway, baby swimming = good. Frittata = good. No friends = bad.