Seed catalogs my sins of the past

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was gifted some OSSI seeds last year and i could not grow them because of their conditions. the reason is that if i did grow them i cannot control which crosses will come about nor can i possibly know which beans i grow are now crossed with their seeds and thus now OSSI.

from their FAQ:

The OSSI Pledge reads: “You have the freedom to use these OSSI-Pledged seeds in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others’ use of these seeds or their derivatives by patents or other means, and to include this pledge with any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives.”

Note: i grow and develop my own seed lines and have done so for many years so i have a lot of time invested in them - i also grow for other people so i can't risk cross licensing issues of any kind other than completely free and unencumbered exchange (no matter what the bees decide to do).

it has always been my policy to give away freely anything i can because i love beans and like sharing them, but i place no conditions upon my gifts at all other than the hopes that they'll be shared with others too.