Seed catalogs my sins of the past

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And here I thought after a week of not receiving any seed catalogs we might be done finally. Nope... All new look for 2020 but it's still 2019 for a few days yet.

Sigh...
IMG_20191230_185313027.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, at east they have pretty covers! :D

I got one about a week ago. Nice to look thru as it reminds me of the seeds I have & what I want to grow this year. I'm not over run, so not an issue. In fact, this is the only one this year.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry I lied... I found the 2020 bakers creek catalog on my table next to my lazy boy. Yep my wife put it there for me, so it must have came Saturday :(... 147 pages of full color glossy wax coated pages to try and burn.

IMG_20191209_202748049.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I taught 4 & 5 year olds in Sunday school in church, I took my old catalogs to class and let the kids cut them up. We pasted pictures to construction paper while talking about the good food were thankful for, the pretty flowers that God made, the kids loved it. The pictures also make great Christmas tree ornaments.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any seed catalogs yet :hit
I always look forward to having a stack of them to thumb through during the cold, snowy days of winter. And my community transfer station happily takes them in the recyclable bins.
I remember cutting apart magazines and making collages of all the bright, colorful photos during the winter months.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Seed catalogs all sell/rent your info to each other. When you order from one, you have to specify "do not sell or rent". If you order online, call the next day to take care of it with customer service. When you tell a seed company to remove you from the mailing list, ALSO at the same time you must specify "do not sell or rent" or they'll stop mailing but keep renting your info to other seed catalogs.

I've only gotten one errant seed catalog yet this year (so far?). I do appreciate getting them from the select few companies I've requested them from.

This works for all junk mail, catalogs and magazines, but seed companies are especially bad about sharing mailing lists! I don't get much junk mail. Used to be an excessive amount. I've been working on it for a couple years. Takes 8 - 12 months of persistent effort for significant improvement in junk mail volume.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for those who are interested. :) worms seem to find the inks tasty. i've had some pieces of shredded catalogs on the surface of the worm bins and you can sometimes see the spots where they have sucked the ink off the page. maybe it is salty or sweet or something to them, but i've found that pretty interesting. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found the head water where seed catalogs start flowing? I need to put a stop to this madness got two more in the mail today :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found the head water where seed catalogs start flowing? I need to put a stop to this madness got two more in the mail today :(

go to each website and send them an e-mail with whatever identifying information is on the label (usually there is an acct # or something which may look a lot like the same number from a lot of them which is a good hint they're all sourced the same way). anyways, send them a note stating your preference as they do have to pay both printing and postage charges for sending them so you are doing them a favor by letting them know that you don't want them any more. plus it is that much less paper having to be harvested or recycled, less water pollution, etc.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
go to each website and send them an e-mail with whatever identifying information is on the label (usually there is an acct # or something which may look a lot like the same number from a lot of them which is a good hint they're all sourced the same way). anyways, send them a note stating your preference as they do have to pay both printing and postage charges for sending them so you are doing them a favor by letting them know that you don't want them any more. plus it is that much less paper having to be harvested or recycled, less water pollution, etc.

Is there an app for that? I was thinking about it earlier today and wouldn't it be cool if an app existed to cancel subscriptions or subscribe to all the seed companies in the US & Canada. There are only two catalogs I will really look at, Henry Field's and Victory seeds. I've had nothing but excellent success with seeds from both of these companies in the past.