Seed Saving Circle?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'm in, although I will need to see what I can offer in fall.

In addition, many of my root crops are biennials so I'll keep those in mind for 2011.
I do have loads of herbs and could let some go to seed this year like German Chamomile, Winter Savory, Lovage and Beebalm, for sure.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Me too! Of course, that's assuming my garden is successful this year. I got some heirloom seeds from Baker's, and am pretty excited to see if I can be successful at all this.

Maybe we can get a thread going this summer about how to save seeds, so we can all have stuff to share this fall?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ooh, I'm definitely in. So far I have only saved easy seeds, like watermelon, peppers, beans and peas. I tried the ferment method for cucumber seeds last year, but the fruit flies got so bad I threw the whole gloppy mess in the compost pile. I do plan on trying again next year though.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Count me in please.. Wifezella, I have the black cherry tomato seeds if you'd like some.. I have been growing them now for about 4 years.. They are great..

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I didn't plant all mine and still have some left. I will try and save some seeds from my tomatoes but it will be hard not to eat them all :D

Right now I am letting some of my bok pak choy go to seed.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am in. Another thing we could do is share brand new seeds that we have bought. For example, one pack of seeds often has more than I need for one year (and even two years), so we could share those with each other.

I often find that heirlooms germinate really well the first year, but not so good the second year I've had the seeds, so I feel like I'm wasting them.

I'm okay with sharing hybrids if someone wants to also.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey everyone! :frow It is exciting to see all the interest in this topic. :) I found a website for The International Seed Saving Institute that seems to be very informative about saving seeds, although I have yet to read through it, I thought I should pass it along. My advice is to start small, with maybe a few crops that you are particularly fond of and go from there. If you have a small garden, you may also want to limit your seed saving to plants that you eat the seed from (dry beans, tomatoes -- where seeds are in the ripe fruit, etc.) You might not want to grow out parsley seeds in a small garden if you could plant another crop in that space that would offer you more food for the season.

Also be careful about storing the seeds. Keep them dry and cool. You may want to keep them in a jar in the refrigerator (with a desiccant is best -- those little packages that come in pill & vitamin bottles), so that if there are eggs of little seed-eating insects on them then those cannot survive in refrigerator temperatures. Have fun! :weee I'm looking forward to hearing what you all are successful at saving! :)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I'll need to learn how to save my seeds first...but I'm in.
I have this great book.. Seed to Seed. I got it off Amazon.com for less than 20bucks and its already saved me more than that!

I am totally in! For fear of GMO's we only plant heirlooms. I expect this fall I will have LOTs of seeds to share. I know I will be looking for heirloom eggplant since I was unable to find it. Carrots and beets would rock a lot too :)

edited to add.. : Those of you with a Seal a Meal or similar product.. your seeds will be shelf stable when dry and seal for YEARS. We have tomatoes coming up for seeds I sealed up 6 years ago :)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just going to recommend Seed to Seed also, but Reb beat me to it. It's put out by the Seed Savers Exchange bunch. My local library has it. It has a LOT of info about each species of herb, vegs, some grains, and about growing and seed starting and cross pollinating.

It's great and I suggest grabbing it if you are a seed saver.

Thanks for the seal-a-meal tip too! Good idea!

Latest posts