Seed-starting question

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am starting my own seeds this year (first time - fingers crossed!). The directions for the cukes and squash seem to lean towards direct sowing. What do you all do? Start your cukes and squash indoors or just wait and direct sow? These are heirloom seeds, if that makes any difference.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It depends . . . I direct sow squash if the weather conditions are conducive. If the weather is on the cool side and I need to get them started because it is getting on into the growing season, then I will start them in 4" pots indoors and carefully transplant (without disturbing the roots) before they get very big.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have done both. They seem to do better with a direct sowing on cucumbers. Im not sure about squash.......

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't grow squash...:sick

...however, I seeded my cukes directly outdoors last year & they did "okay" (not crazy productive like I hoped), so I am going to try starting them indoors this year, to see if getting a head-start will make a difference. :D

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you're in Florida I would definitely direct sow them. Cukes and squash and melons don't particularly like to be transplanted and you've got the growing season to allow for direct sow.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmerlor is right. Squash and cukes grow a taproot, and if you try to start them inside, you will most likely start them too early (they grow so fast!) and they will get huge, and the taproot will get all messed up when you transplant. You are better off to direct sow, and they will typically "catch up" if they get planted a little late due to cool weather. In Florida, with a longer growing season, you shouldn't have to deal with this much. You could even plant them a couple weeks apart, so that way you will have a continuous supply of healthy plants for a long time. Squash and cukes tend to poop out toward the end of summer here, so I sometimes plant late ones. I do have to hand pollinate most of the late ones though, since there's fewer bugs to do it.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you all for replying. Didn't know about the taproot...makes sense now. Gardening fever is getting bad! :D I'm in north central Florida, so we still get some very cold weather and the last frost date this year is March 29....too far away! March 30th I will be planting! LOL Have been doing some reading on hand pollinating...geez, another thing I didn't know I had to worry about until I started to educate myself!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I know someone who starts all her pea and bean seeds in little pots inside! :ep I told her she'd save so much time by direct sowing them, but she doesn't care!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I know someone who starts all her pea and bean seeds in little pots inside! :ep I told her she'd save so much time by direct sowing them, but she doesn't care!
Two years ago, my peas were 2 inches high and got buried by snow for four days. Slowed them down for a bit, but they produced just fine.

Yes, I was anxious to get started that year!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Oh yeah, you can plant peas in the snow, they love it! There's no reason to ever start peas or beans in the house.