Seed Vaults anyone ?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
From everything that I have read seeds store best dry, dark, and cool - like so many other of our pantry storage items :D. I have kept my stash (partially used seed packets, self-saved seeds, and unopened packets of seeds "bought on a whim" but not used before the "whim" wore off :)) in ziploc bags, in a plastic box meant for files, in the coolest place that I can find in the house. And have had reasonable luck with germination with most things even after several years. This year I am keeping all my newly bought, and not yet planted, seeds in a glass gallon jar in the extra 'fridge. I don't really know if that will make a difference. One thing I have read about storing seeds this way is to pull the jar out of the 'fridge a day before you need the seeds, to stabilize the temperature, and prevent moisture buildup on the inside of the jar when opened. A seed is a seed is ... not ... a seed; in other words, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for them all. Seeds have different abilities to stay viable. If you want to save seeds it is important to learn how that is best done for the seeds you want to save. Tomato seeds will last quite awhile, in my experience, onion seeds not so long (only a year or so). And if you want to save seeds from your own plants that is another thing altogether. There are several good books on the subject, and I am sure that the internet has even more information. Sorry for the long post, but I get the feeling from reading different posts (not specifically on this forum) that many beginners feel that what works for this will also work for that ... and it ain't necessarily so :lol:

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I picked up a great book called Seed to Seed. It covers veggies only, but there is LOTs of info. Shortly after the first post to this thread, I had already nixed the whole seed vault thing. I have a seal-a-meal, freezer , buckets and the ability to save all the seeds from everything I am growing now. Things I want that I don't actively have growing will go on my next Baker Creek order :)

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I had some beans once, second generation from plants that a university grew from beans that were found in a pot deep in an anasazi cave.... now talk about vault preservation!
That would be so neat to still have those beans. It would be wonderful to keep that line going. A bean from the past. It might come in handy some time.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Hi, :frow

Just wondering what kind of emergency would this prepare for? "Enough seeds to feed a family for one year?" Only one I can think of would be loss of income and unable to by food? "Mad Max"???? It takes about six months from planting seeds to get everything harvested and put up. There's frost, weeds, bugs, wind and hail storms, deer,groundhogs,rabbits, racoons, too much rain, not enough rain, etc., to deal with, you get the picture.

I am not trying to be a troll, I'm just interested in other peoples thoughts on this subject. The EP thread facinates me, given the state of the world right now.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If someone has seeds stored they also most likely have an emergency pantry. Food stores for 6 months to a year. So if something happened, loss of job, natural disaster, TSHF etc.. They could live off of the food storage while doing everything possible to grow more to replace it.

At least that's my theory.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's my thinking too Tankshill.

Live off the dried, canned, jarred food while you plant crops.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Oh! :he That makes sense.

This worked for some in the Gr. Depression that had their own land and some seeds.

But if you lived in the dust bowl in the mid west that was'nt possible because of the enormous dust storms that buried livestock, fields etc. Even if a family maintained their property well, they were affected by what others did. In other words the disaster at hand.

Although I'm wondering if for a ND or SHTF would the conditions in the environment be too poisoned or otherwise unpeaceful to garden. I don't see very many people in the pictures on T.V. of war zones gardening, except the Poppies in Aghanistan.

An influenza pandemic like the one in 1918 has its own set of variables also. If you did't get sick and die, gardening would be more than possible, keeping busy during self Quarantine, and the food system would be disrupted.

Again just thinking.

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
An influenza pandemic - now I just know it wasn't called that then. That was after Dad was born and he never spoke of it. The Family would have stayed local, was self sufficient, would have stayed away from gatherings of people if the flu was going around. Would have used herbs and food to fight off influenza by building up the immune system. Apple cidar vinegar, vinegar of 7 theives, to wash in and clean with, etc. Just like we did when it was going around in the 50's. That was the first and last time I have had the flu.

Fortunatley haven't dealt with dustbowl conditions, and that concerns me with droughts popping up all over the country, followed by flooding. Might have to remember how to be nomadic.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Although the subject of influenza pandemic ND and a SHTF scenario varies slightly from the subject of seed vaults a little, all are inter-related and can be important considerations.

A seed vault is IMHO, an excellent idea. How it is kept and preserved can vary, but certainly, keeping oxygen away from the seeds in whatever manner you choose is wise because while we need oxygen to survive, it is the one element that causes destruction of much of the organic matter we consume. I have taken the approach of using food grade Nitrogen gas and air tight paint cans to store things. I do use some food grade plastic containers (5 gal. buckets which are air tight) as well. By storing things in pure nitrogen you prevent oxidation and increase the shelf life by magnitudes of order. (up to and exceeding 10 years)

As for the influenza epidemic, we can probably relax about that sort of event in this country at least for now. While I was in the Navy, they showed us training films about the flu pandemic of 1918 and the part I found most interesting was the fact that the people lying in hospital wards that were dying had none of the supportive care items we take for granted now. There were no intravenous fluids and no antibiotics.

If one looks at the flu you find it is a relatively minor upper respiratory illness which after a short time becomes "super-infected" by bacteria. During the acute phase when folks are at the extremes of life, drinking fluids becomes exceptionally difficult. Without IV fluids, they would die of dehydration...so we don't see that any more. Additionally, after the onset of the "super-infection" by which I mean superimposed, the antibiotics we now have work well and the patients usually recover whereas in 1918 they did not. Many died of either viral or bacterial pneumonia.

The point being that we now have things to prevent the majority of deaths that occurren in 1918. Yes, some people still die in this day and age, but they usually have some "co-morbid" condition (weak heart, bad lung disease, etc) that makes them much more vulnerable to the effects of the otherwise relatively minor disease.

In a ND or SHTF situation, we have to once again, "Think outside the box". In the ND situation, we will be able to plant gardens as long as we are not in an area of high concentrations of fallout. Not everyone will be effected by fallout so the conditions will be OK from that perspective. The other issue to consider is the reaction and behavior of folks who for whatever reason (either NOT being prepared or made sick by radiation or just plain "on the rampage" and stealing and pillaging wherever and whatever they can), the issue of having a garden out in "plain sight" may be difficult. An indoor/hydroponic garden may be necessary to avoid "unwanted attention". Then assuming no intrusion into your home by univited "guests" you should be able to have plenty of vegetable resources to supply your family with needed nutrients.

Of paramount importance is being completely familiar with the edible wild plants in your area. Once you know all or most of them and are able to live off of them, the element of fear diminishes by leaps and bounds. You won't need a garden if you can't have one because of theft, vandalism, etc. so you just eat "off the land".

Long before cultivated gardens existed, the nomadic people of this continent lived off that same land and did quite well. You can do it as well. Makes having to be on the road a lot easier in the event you need to do so.

Hope this is helpful. Eliminating fear is the one best key to survival in bad times.
Warm Regards
Trim