Seeding grass in previous corn field

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really have no idea. But, I'd be tempted to wait until after the farmer does his bit of leveling in the spring. One thing I'd do is contact your county Agricultural Extension office. Have them put you in touch with the person who can best advise you regarding your goal. Can the farmer pull a manure spreader through that pasture? When you get ready to seed the area, you could drag an old bed spring to help cover the seed a bit. If you do your seeding before some rains are predicted, it should get going ok, even without spreading hay or straw over it.

However, I'd ask him what the "leveling" entails. If it involves heavy soil compaction, I'd pass on that! Talk to your county ag agent!!!! You might also get some advice re: an appropriate seed mix. You might even consider sowing a year's worth of green manure crops. It all depends on what your time line is.

A year of cover crops qould be awesome for new pasture!

Wheres bay? Shes the one with the super fertile pastures

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A year of cover crops qould be awesome for new pasture!

Wheres bay? Shes the one with the super fertile pastures
Haha, I have ONE super fertile pasture, it's where I kept pigs. The horse pasture is mainly woods, the pipeline is beach sand, the sheep pasture is sand, but thanks for the compliment! I know what you are talking about, that deep lush clover from last spring!

Want a super lush pasture? Put pigs in it!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really have no idea. But, I'd be tempted to wait until after the farmer does his bit of leveling in the spring. One thing I'd do is contact your county Agricultural Extension office. Have them put you in touch with the person who can best advise you regarding your goal. Can the farmer pull a manure spreader through that pasture? When you get ready to seed the area, you could drag an old bed spring to help cover the seed a bit. If you do your seeding before some rains are predicted, it should get going ok, even without spreading hay or straw over it.

However, I'd ask him what the "leveling" entails. If it involves heavy soil compaction, I'd pass on that! Talk to your county ag agent!!!! You might also get some advice re: an appropriate seed mix. You might even consider sowing a year's worth of green manure crops. It all depends on what your time line is.

I was planning on waiting until a day when a rain was in the forecast ;)

I don't have the option for pasturing pigs, horses or cows. We don't even have a barn right now and no adjoining farms have any of those animals.

Yes absolutely call your county ag extension!!

I didn't evwn think of the extension, which is hilarious since I'm a Master Naturalist in my area :)

Last edited:

Latest posts