Self Sufficiency Apartment Life! Ideas??

austintgraf

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
If you try to grow to much in a college town keep your eyes open for the pot police [unless you live in a place where pot legal
:lol: Thanks for the tip! I doubt i'll have that problem though. Straight A student, 31 on my ACT, and several scholarships. Can't afford to lose those, and I don't buy the whole it makes you smarter thing. I'm doing alright intellect wise. No pot needed. Never smoked it. Never will. :thumbsup :lol: now back to sustainability ideas! Any takers?! :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And folks like you are why I still have faith in our future! Who said there were no smart young'uns left?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
austintgraf said:
~gd said:
If you try to grow to much in a college town keep your eyes open for the pot police [unless you live in a place where pot legal
:lol: Thanks for the tip! I doubt i'll have that problem though. Straight A student, 31 on my ACT, and several scholarships. Can't afford to lose those, and I don't buy the whole it makes you smarter thing. I'm doing alright intellect wise. No pot needed. Never smoked it. Never will. :thumbsup :lol: now back to sustainability ideas! Any takers?! :)
I was not trying to suggest that you would grow pot! MY thought was that other idiots might think you were growing,
Heck I had a banana plant in a pot on my enclosed deck that I would move into my garage when it got cold outside. Since they require light to survive I used 4 40 watt tubes [banana plants get large] One day there was a knock on my door and 2 police cars in my drive way they asked for permission to search and since I had nothing to hide I took them to the garage. They took a look and started to chuckle. Turns out that I had been reported for growing pot, I could have been raided under a no-knock search warrent. but the informant had been wrong before so the police hadn't tried for a warrent they just came and asked!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For apartment livestock, might I suggest guinea pigs (cavies)? They have the advantage of being considered a "pet"- something to consider as a lot of landlords take a dim view of livestock in their apartments. They don't take much room, they produce quickly, and the meat tastes a little like squirrel.

austintgraf

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Britesea said:
For apartment livestock, might I suggest guinea pigs (cavies)? They have the advantage of being considered a "pet"- something to consider as a lot of landlords take a dim view of livestock in their apartments. They don't take much room, they produce quickly, and the meat tastes a little like squirrel.
Guinea pigs!? How amusing! I'm very open minded to alternative livestock, and I'm familiar with their presence upon the food table in Central and South America as a very easy, and efficient protein source. Though I must say that would be a difficult thing for me to do. I have a difficult time accepting them as anything other than pets, but I feel like it might be worth a go! I like squirrel so why should I be squeamish about guinea pig?? Do you raise them for meat yourself?

austintgraf

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Also has anybody else tried guinea pig as a food source? Just interested in your thoughts. I think all around it is an excellent idea, I would just have to do some digging for guinea pig recipes! :lol: