Self-Sufficiency vs. Homesteading

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would have to agree with this. Mere survival is not the goal...at least in my life. I want to survive well if I am going to survive at all.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Don't care !!!!! :plbb

Diavolicchio said:
Ldychef2k said:
Valmom the hickory flavor is good.

My favorite way is to grate it, mix with Best Foods mayo and sweet pickles, on a sandwich roll. Them's good eats....

I send a peeeeshaw to those who critique the delicacy that is Spam. I especially scoff at those who so denigrate my penchant while at the same time eating liver, which filters poisons, kidneys, which excrete urine, or tongue, which I shall now hold....
I scoff because nutritionally that stuff is garbage.

http://www.meticulum.com/spam_nutrition.jpg

When you add the hickory smoke flavor, that probably makes it carcinogenic, too.

For the record, I don't eat any internal organs, either.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well the ONLY way I can vouch for the SPAM as a survival food would be if you had a diet of only wild game and vegetables for your diet.

In the olden days people had to do everything by hard physical labor. They often also lived in COLD environments and cold houses. Fat levels in their diet was often at a VERY low level. Wild game other than water fowl are usually VERY lean, fish is totally lean and unless LOTS of nuts are consumed veggies are lean also. In these conditions the fat and high sodium levels that are found in a can of SPAM could actually be very important. That is one reason our great grandparents didn't skimp on the butter and lard when they were cooking. :)

In a survival situation a few cans of the SPAM stuff could come in very handy - as long as you did not try to actually live on the stuff! :sick

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Just about like eating BACON! :drool
Then I suggest eating bacon instead. At least bacon isn't suspended in a slurry of preservatives and carcinogens. You also have a better idea what part of the pig you're eating.

Anyone who's a regular consumer of Spam is just playing Russian Roulette; at some point they're going to peel back to the lid on that can and the part of the pig that's going to be staring back will be its anus.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone who's a regular consumer of Spam is just playing Russian Roulette; at some point they're going to peel back to the lid on that can and the part of the pig that's going to be staring back will be its anus.
And again I state: EWWWWWWW!

Who knew this was gonna turn into a debate about Spam....Ldychef, your raspberry really cracked me up! :gig

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Diavolicchio said:
Farmfresh said:
Then I suggest eating bacon instead. At least bacon isn't suspended in a slurry of preservatives and carcinogens. You also have a better idea what part of the pig you're eating.

Ughhhh,...:sick That's just gross! :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Diavolicchio said:
Farmfresh said:

You said it and I will TOTALLY agree with it. The key words are "regular consumer".

I very, very, very seldom ever eat the stuff ... I just said I like it!! :plbb

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have certainly gotten WAY off the topic here! :lol:

I don't think certain hard to think about animal parts are ONLY used in SPAM. What about the fillers in burgers, bologna, sausage, and sodium lipid nitrate sticks .... I mean hotdogs!

Those things are found in lots of places AND as HOMESTEADER ;) I like to use as much of the animals that I raise as I possibly can! That is why I eat the offal as well as the meat... but THAT is another thread! :D