Selling Eggs!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I saw some people milling around my neighbors persimmion orchard this morning. I walked out to my coop and instanly attracted attention to myself. The young lady and her mother came over to talk and ask about the hens. They asked if I sell my eggs. I told them not right now but I have 12 more hens due to lay at the end of the month. Then I said they should stop back by. So I ran in the house and grabbed a dozen fromt he fridge wrote my name and number on a paper and gave it to them as a gift. I thouht is was the best marketing ploy yet.

So my question is, Farmer chick and others who sell. Should I market this as "giving them away" but take donations towards feed cost. How do yo deal with the selling aspect? I know Farmerchick washes her eggs. I never do. Is it necessary? should they be labled as "not washed"?

And and the kicker, How much for a dozen large brown eggs? I know organic sell for a ton but mine would not be considerd organic. They eat regular lay feed. I guess they could be "Cage Free".

I know this will not be a new business for me just a way to supplement feed cost. Any and all advice welcome. gina

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been selling extra's for a few weeks. At first I didnt wash them. Then because people looked at me funny and acted like Ew yuck, I did start rinsing them off. Mine are on layers feed also. They do free range part of the day tho,
I have been selling for $2 a doz. At least until I get my clientle built up. I am not sure about the other questions. If your eggs are lg then you might want to charge more. I have 38 hens.......I am selling them, not taking donations. Why do you have to do that? Is this because of the state or what? :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't really know I thought if I said I was giving them away it would just make things easier.
I am excited though. Well see how it goes. :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think I've read of others in CA getting much more for their eggs. I only charge $2, but I went to my store to find out what free-range brown eggs were selling for... Isn't it fun? I bet you will be shocked by how much business you might soon have by word of mouth! Something else I do is "educate" people about backyard eggs versus factory since they can be startlingly different in texture and color. Have fun!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know our local warehouse store sells an 18count of organic brown for close to 6 bucks. I think I might get away with $3 per dozen. Maybe I should get some more pullets. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
When I am getting eggs, lol, I sell to the local feed store for $1.50 a dozen.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AMEN to the education part. Tankshill, if you can get three or more for the eggs, then do it. Fresh eggs sell for 2.50 a dz here, so I prob couldnt get away with it.....darn it. But at least they are paying for the feed now, lol.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree, up until now at least the last few years I was not even sure if the hens were paying for them selves. But now, if I could cover the cost of feed. That would be great.

Yes when I give away eggs I have to explain to people about exactly just how fresh they are. About the yolk color etc..

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I personally was shocked at how thick the shell was compared to white store bought eggs. I make sure I warn them of that, lol.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sell my eggs for $3. My husband was selling them at his job for $2 because someone else sold them for that price and he didn't want to ask more. Now my daughter sells them for me at her job for $3 and I have advance orders every week. I have brown, dark brown, speckled and green eggs. I think people like the variety.