Selling Eggs!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My son sells ours for $3.00 a dozen. He gets $1, I get $1 towards feed, and $1 goes to a charity our church sponsors. We only get a few dozen a week to sell but we sell them all! Ours aren't all brown, we have white and green as well. Don't know if that would matter or not. He sells them as A's Rainbow Eggs. :D We gave a dozen away to people who are now regular customers. Just to get them hooked! ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't market as "giving away for donations"

if anyone asks, just say you are selling eggs. it is simple. it helps defer the cost of feed for the chickens. but you don't have to sugar coat it at all....selling fresh eggs is a great thing! People want them.

I hand wash all my eggs and put in new cartons cause I sell to mass customers and "yuppies" so I have to have them clean. Most people do not want to see yuck.

We sell for $3.75 per dozen and have no problem at all. Fresh is fresh!

My customers over the years have weeded me down to brown eggs only. They don't want white, no color, or anything. Brown is what sells for me. We had white layers and sold them off cause everyone wanted brown. the colored eggs I sold, ye-gads, ladies thought the green eggs were rotten..HA HA HA.....so brown was safe and sells like hotcakes for me.

Sell your eggs, be confident when saying your price and now you are in business! COOL!!!!!! At least paying for the chick feed is better than having to pay it all yourself. Let those girls earn their keep..LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I sell for $2 a doz. here but could probably get much more from the tourists. I am surrounded by commercial poultry businesses in this county who give away their "nonperfect" eggs to the locals because they cannot sell them. Most folks around here like "free" over "healthy", so freerange doesn't grab their attention. But the tourists will buy anything! :p

I agree with the brown eggs selling better. People seem to equate brown with "country". The browns are such a warm color, so they just seem more wholesome and rich.

I don't wash my eggs but if they have obvious smears or smudges, I might wipe that area lightly with a damp sponge. I rarely have a dirty egg, though. If I do encounter one that has been layed under the roosts in the muck, I usually slip it to the dogs....good for them and rewards them for doing guard duty! :)