Selling my Eggs - Suggestions.... Chicken eggs that is

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ALRIGHT. My girls are laying now, well not all of them.. but at least 9 of them are laying (out of 15). We got 9 eggs yesterday, and 5 today (they didn't go out today, nasty blizzardy weather out but yesterday was lovely outside even though it was snowy, truth be told there could be more eggs in the coop right now as i've noticed a few laying around this time of day). We clearly have too many eggs for our own needs, at the moment we have 2 doz. in the fridge (granted at least 5 of those are old store bought white eggs, shh).

I want to get rid of some of these eggs, so we're thinking of starting to sell them. It'll be a little while before we get any bites on sales, but i want to at least put the word out there. Whatcha think? I reckon we should sell at $2.75 doz. locally and $3.00 delivery to town.

Should I at least advertise and stuffs? I get a mixture of sizes right now, from large to medium though, but they should be all laying large eggs soon enough. I want to put our name out there asap now that I've seen this place near us selling eggs.

EDIT

I just looked on kijiji, and someone in my area is selling eggs now -_- for $3.00 doz. and $3.50 doz. delivered. LAME, no one was until just now. I think it's the hobby farm on #14 who just built themselves a new chicken house *evil squinty eyes at them*

Ps. I'm going to put labels on my boxes, and I'm getting labels tomorrow to print on... but this is our design (the font and stuff looks better printed trust me LOL the chicken is one of ours that I silhouetted).

label.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very nice label---I like it.

if I were you...I would start higher than the other farm. Yup, I would never undercut my prices. Feed and cost of doing business is going to go up more. So start a little higher.

do $3.25 per dozen
do $3.75 delivered

cause if you start lower you will just have to raise prices very soon to cover increasing costs.

I sell alot of eggs. I am $3.75 at the market. I do not deliver...basically. I do sell wholesale to health food stores at $2.75 per dozen...they in turn price at $3.99 for my eggs....so they make money and I get to move eggs fast when the market is slow.

BUT make money. Do not go cheap on fresh products.

just suggestions for you!

at all times if anyone says why are your eggs so high, why are you more than others eggs, just fluff up and say so proud, you have the finest, freshest eggs and best fed chickens. High quality...believe me customers love to know you rate your product very high! that is what they want to buy! the best!

good luck to you.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
very nice label---I like it.

if I were you...I would start higher than the other farm. Yup, I would never undercut my prices. Feed and cost of doing business is going to go up more. So start a little higher.

do $3.25 per dozen
do $3.75 delivered

cause if you start lower you will just have to raise prices very soon to cover increasing costs.

I sell alot of eggs. I am $3.75 at the market. I do not deliver...basically. I do sell wholesale to health food stores at $2.75 per dozen...they in turn price at $3.99 for my eggs....so they make money and I get to move eggs fast when the market is slow.

BUT make money. Do not go cheap on fresh products.

just suggestions for you!

at all times if anyone says why are your eggs so high, why are you more than others eggs, just fluff up and say so proud, you have the finest, freshest eggs and best fed chickens. High quality...believe me customers love to know you rate your product very high! that is what they want to buy! the best!

good luck to you.
Ooo, I think I might do that. You've turned me onto the idea LOL. I'm going to start advertising but hopefully won't get any bites until next week when I have some more eggs hanging around. I just want to get our name out there :)

Plus, my egg fridge seems to have died. It's not even old, like maybe 2 years old, little bar fridge.. my dad used it for his booze back at the old house, and it worked up until about a month ago and now it doesn't seem to be working -_-

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for me I just think we need to always plug our farm and our products and services as THE BEST....of course make sure you give the service etc. that is required...LOL

sorry about the little fridge....we have 3 full size refrigs for eggs and sausage. they do the trick.

once you got hooked customers, they will be with you a long time! :) I have customers from 10 years ago buying to this day...alot of them. They are like old friends now....great side to the business, you sure make friends..LOL

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
for me I just think we need to always plug our farm and our products and services as THE BEST....of course make sure you give the service etc. that is required...LOL

sorry about the little fridge....we have 3 full size refrigs for eggs and sausage. they do the trick.

once you got hooked customers, they will be with you a long time! :) I have customers from 10 years ago buying to this day...alot of them. They are like old friends now....great side to the business, you sure make friends..LOL
Haha yeah. We're going to sell at $3.00 Doz. and $3.50 Doz. delivered to the nearest towns.

I'm going to be switching to Organic Layer soon, so I can bring it up well above that afterwards. The closest person selling Organic (basically means they just bought the Organic feed LOL) is selling for $4.50 Doz.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there ya go...shoot for the stars

organic

people love that word and it sure brings the price higher! smart!

be sure now, you can't feed your chickens table scraps or anything else that has man made chemicals and such.....if you go "organic" then you must truly control their feed big time.

while bearing in mind, here the word organic is a touchy subject around my area...they truly clash over "what is organic" and "why" ya know......my area has organic maniacs around here..LOL

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really like the label - very catchy and professional.

We have a heck of a time selling eggs around here. It's not that the area is saturated with egg sellers, people just aren't impressed with fresh eggs and/or don't want to pay for quality. We do have one lady that will buy when we have them.
Last year, we donated our extras to the local food pantry. Did that for a year.

Best of luck!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have the same problem! :rolleyes: I sit smack dab in the middle of commercial eggeries here, and they give away their cull eggs to everybody and sundry(not allowed to sell them). Folks around here don't seem to care what they put in their mouths, so my eggs will more than likely be sold to tourists and the occasional few people who care about healthy. I can't imagine getting more than $2 a doz. in the off season and $2.50 during peak tourist season. People look at me with their eyebrows up when I say I'm charging $2!!!! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like the lable too. Good luck.

I did manage to sell few dozen a couple weeks ago. They went for 3.00. I said they were "cage free" and extra fresh. Not organic though. I don't want to spring for the extra feed cost.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sell my eggs word of mouth through my husband and daughter on their jobs. I sell for $3 a dozen and am able to sell all I have. One person even offered me $5.