Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our son came for an overnight visit last week. He was sitting in the recliner sofa, feet up, boots off, and Sentry cautiously approached and sniffed DS's feet. It was a big moment. :lol: Sentry licked a toe, sniffed again, then backed off to sit by me, on guard. :gig:gig

Next day, DS and I were sitting on the truck tailgate and he scooted over next to me and hugged me. Sentry immediately rose up and barked. I told him it was ok and he quieted down, but kept that stare on DS. I've had dogs that were devoted to me, but none that intensely guarded me like Sentry does.

When Sentry is in the house, he is where ever I am. In the kitchen, I step over him. If I am sitting in the recliner, he is under the footrest and I have to carefully lower the footrest before I can get up. If I am moving around, he positions himself where he can watch me. Outside, he is at my side. Once he satisfies himself that I am safe, he will go play with the other dogs, watch the sheep or go under the porch to cool off. If I am in the garden, he picks a shady spot outside the fence where he can be near to me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay, you are his job! That's sweet...and could also run into problems....but still nice that he feels fulfilled in his capacity as a LGD by having something to watch over. I'm so very glad he has adapted as well as he has to his physical hindrances. And this is a job that shouldn't put too much stress on those joints, so it's a win/win.

I bet he's really getting big! Got any recent pics or did I miss those if you posted them recently?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He still watches the sheep, as well as me. LOL Today I took some pullets out of the brooder and put them in a coop. Sentry was involved in the process, watching me catch them and put them in a small cage for transporting them to the coop. He went in the coop, checking everything out, then laid down next to the coop while I put the pullets in the coop.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed my husband took this picture today. I sat down, Sentry and Carson came to me for hugs.

6FDC5917-B9E2-4FD3-B6BE-74A70526A4A5.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sentry has a broad head, a wide, deep chest, BIG feet, but has remained short in stature and small on the back end. If he had grown to match his feet, he would be one big dog. With his bone problems, it's just as well that he is stunted. I don't think that his skeleton could support the weight of a big dog. I'll take him just the way he is. :love

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:D He's a lovely combination of color & markings. Looks like there might be a little boxer in the mix. Carson, that boy is so black he just melts into the shadows....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed my husband took this picture today. I sat down, Sentry and Carson came to me for hugs.

View attachment 14430

He's enormous!!!! How old is he now? He's going to be a giant when he gets his full growth. And he's still just as gorgeous as he was when he was little. I love his white socks and he has such a sweet face. How's his comfort levels now? I just ordered Blue some joint supplements online this week and have been giving him an aspirin when I see him favoring that hip...those seem to work great.

BTW, found a buyer for Charlie and will be meeting them tomorrow for the pick up. She'll be living in the Hudson Valley in NY state after tomorrow, guarding horses, goats and chickens. I'm so glad she'll be going to a nice place.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Creal, can't say I like that post. I hate varmints of all kinds, so very glad you have a dog to defend what is yours. Last night, the ducks were on high alert, and doing a lot of chatter. Electric fence needs attention b/c the grass has grown so high, so it would not have been strong enough to deter any predator. Chickens were talking a bit also, same with their electronet. So, when things cool a bit, I'll be outside moving fence and mowing. We went out with .22 and flash light, didn't see any thing that needed some lead vitamin supplements. Owl was screeching at about the same time, sounded real close, so that may have been the issue.