separating milk and cream?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yup! I've got one of those, @baymule
Now I want something that is going to allow me to make sticks so I cam cook more easily with it. If you go through a lot of butter a butter bell isn't big enough!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
clabber is an old timey word for cream turning into something like yogurt.
I've got one of those butterbells, but when I was buying raw milk I never got enough cream to make it worth while... we usually had the batch eaten within a couple of days, so we just kept it in bowl with wax paper on top

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm like most of you, if i have raw cows milk i just put it in a jar and let it rise and skim it off and put it in a jar twice the size of the amount of cream and shake or roll it till you have butter. unfortunately for me i milk goats and it takes days for the cream to rise to the top to make butter or you have to use a cream separator which i don't have. and i agree with britesea, i don't like the flavor of clabbered milk or butter either. and baymule i am a lover of butter bells too. i had one for years and my sister dropped and broke it. someday i'll replace it, it was really old. this is an old hand carved butter mold that belonged to my grandmother. i love it but don't use it any more. just look at it and love it.
IMG_0174.JPG

Last edited:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Beautiful goatgurl!
I decided I'll experiment worth the next gallon that I get and see how much butter I can male. Hopefully a lot!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's lovely! Is it not repairable?

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sumi, it isn't broken, just very old and fragile and since i don't bother making butter with the goats milk i don't use it. the wood around the outside is very thin and i'm afraid i'll break it. i have my grandmothers old crank jar churn too and i haven't used that in years either.
and hqueen13 let us know how it turns out.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry! I was talking about the broken butter bell.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This might sound dumb but can I do this with store milk? :hide I don't know where I can get raw milk where I live...

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NOT a dumb question.

@Myhouseisazoo2, store milk has been homogenized. This means the fat (cream) droplets are broken down into pieces that will no longer separate out from the milk as fresh (raw) milk will do. Also, what is called "whole" milk at the grocery store is only 4% milk fats. Much of the natural cream has been removed from that milk already. Skim, 1%, or 2% would have an even lower (to no) cream content.

Now you know and others may have learned something new as well. Sorry, it's the teacher in me -- I love questions -- that, and living in Wisconsin, 'America's Dairyland' rather implies I should know this answer.