separating milk and cream?

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is good to know! :)

So since the same creams/fats are no longer in it/won't seperate due to the homogenized process would it be a bad idea to use store milk for making cheese? I've been interested in making that as well but I've the feeling that I need fresh milk for that process too...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can make butter from the whipping cream you can buy from the store. What you are skimming off the fresh milk is heavy cream.
Yes, you can make cheese from store bought milk. Make sure to buy whole milk - one friend says to buy the Vitamin D Whole milk for a good cheese. I have never tried doing this though, so let us know how it works.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have heard (never tried it though) that you can even make cheese from powdered milk, but of course it won't have the fat, unless you buy the full fat dehydrated milk (hard to get, and a relatively short shelf life due to the fats in it)

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
another short lesson, raw goats milk in naturally homogenized which is why it takes days instead of hours for the cream to rise to the top of the milk. and if you make butter out of goats milk it is white instead of yellow. tastes the same just looks weird.