Sept 2020 - Construction Lumber Prices

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just a FYI... Demand for lumber has grown to more than 120 percent since mid-April. I guess ole Crealcritter wasn't the only one who's government stimulation was burning a hole in his pocket. With mortgage intrest rates as low as I can remember, it was a great time to buy a farm :). Now I just have to wait for the lumber prices to drop before finishing up the "man cave". The experts are saying Lumber prices are supposed to start dropping come November. But only because DYI'ers don't want to get there handsies pansanies cold, awe... how sweet, poor feetsies wheatsies might get cold too.

FB Messenger conversation with a complete stranger who I thought was selling plywood.

Screenshot_20200911-211551.png

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happens with every major destructive weather issue. things are sold & prices rise. When hurricane Andrew wiped out Homestead, FL many years ago, we had apartment buildings damage there and suppliers were totaled too. We bought supplies here in VA and shipped 4 tractor trailer loads to FL to do our repairs. You had to chain the generators to your trucks as people would ride by, jump out and grab them -- while you were inside or on the roof!

Now -- with several bad storms & Covid causing work issues, the demand is high and supply lowered. It will recover but, takes a while.

Couple weeks ago I looked for paint brushes and found almost every store out. What??? It's true. This week, shipments arrived at a couple. Same deal -- suppliers closed and buyers increased. Weird!!

I am seeing ample yeast back on store shelves and soon -- there will be canning jar lids in stock. :D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happens with every major destructive weather issue. things are sold & prices rise. When hurricane Andrew wiped out Homestead, FL many years ago, we had apartment buildings damage there and suppliers were totaled too. We bought supplies here in VA and shipped 4 tractor trailer loads to FL to do our repairs. You had to chain the generators to your trucks as people would ride by, jump out and grab them -- while you were inside or on the roof!

Now -- with several bad storms & Covid causing work issues, the demand is high and supply lowered. It will recover but, takes a while.

Couple weeks ago I looked for paint brushes and found almost every store out. What??? It's true. This week, shipments arrived at a couple. Same deal -- suppliers closed and buyers increased. Weird!!

I am seeing ample yeast back on store shelves and soon -- there will be canning jar lids in stock. :D
Not only that... if you remember correctly the whole freaking economy shut down unless your Walmart or Kroger. So what does that mean? Well logging was considered non-essential. No trees harvested, no lumber. Not so much supply and demand problem. It's a supply chain problem. You tell loggers they can't work, you get no lumber, plain and simple.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No yeast at my Walmart yet, or lids either. I keep a 2-year supply of lids and I used a lot this year.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually saw about 10 dozen canning jars on the pallets of supplies delivered to restock @ Walmart this evening when I stopped to pick up my antibiotic prescription.... have to take it everytime I go to the dentist.... because of possible bacteria getting into the blood stream and causing problems in the replaced ankle joint. OF COURSE..... they closed the pharmacy at 7 p.m. and I got there at about 7:45.... on my way home from testing that 240 cow herd today. Forgot about it yesterday until after I got home.... should have gone there before testing. Well, I have PT monday morning and will go there and get it then.....dentist appt is tuesday....
I 'll bet that the jars are all gone by the time I get there Monday.... I am so glad that I just don't need any.... have hundreds in storage.... halfway prepared for next year.....But glad to see that they are starting to trickle into the system again.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually saw about 10 dozen canning jars on the pallets of supplies delivered to restock @ Walmart this evening when I stopped to pick up my antibiotic prescription.... have to take it everytime I go to the dentist.... because of possible bacteria getting into the blood stream and causing problems in the replaced ankle joint. OF COURSE..... they closed the pharmacy at 7 p.m. and I got there at about 7:45.... on my way home from testing that 240 cow herd today. Forgot about it yesterday until after I got home.... should have gone there before testing. Well, I have PT monday morning and will go there and get it then.....dentist appt is tuesday....
I 'll bet that the jars are all gone by the time I get there Monday.... I am so glad that I just don't need any.... have hundreds in storage.... halfway prepared for next year.....But glad to see that they are starting to trickle into the system again.

I'm glad people are working again. You can't just pull the plug and not expect the tub to drain.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes -- some of the supply issues were the factories being down -- either by force or with workers out sick. Really sad part is that so many businesses will never get back on line -- just destoyed from all of this "stay home" -- sick or otherwise.

Then we have extreme destruction from fires, storms, etc. Reports suggest 500,000 evacuated from fires -- many will return to nothing but ashes. Jobs & homes lost. Earlier floods in other areas created loss of crops. It's unreal!!! The overall situation is just unreal. Wake me from this nightmare.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes -- some of the supply issues were the factories being down -- either by force or with workers out sick. Really sad part is that so many businesses will never get back on line -- just destoyed from all of this "stay home" -- sick or otherwise.

Then we have extreme destruction from fires, storms, etc. Reports suggest 500,000 evacuated from fires -- many will return to nothing but ashes. Jobs & homes lost. Earlier floods in other areas created loss of crops. It's unreal!!! The overall situation is just unreal. Wake me from this nightmare.

Guess I'm behind the 8 ball. It's been a long time since I watched TV or checked news sites on the internet. What flood and fire?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fires in CA Oregon -- NOW

Floods couple months ago -- mid west

These fires are huge and wiping out hundred of thousands of acres, homes, people evacuated....homes are ash. It's bad.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fires in CA Oregon -- NOW

Floods couple months ago -- mid west

These fires are huge and wiping out hundred of thousands of acres, homes, people evacuated....homes are ash. It's bad.

Fire sounds awful, will have to look it up. Seems every few years the west coast has serious fires. A little Forestry Management goes a long ways to make fires easier to contain & prevent. What caused it this time?