Sept 2020 - Construction Lumber Prices

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the price of ratty old SPF (Spruce Pine Fir) construction lumber? Crazy, stupid and ridiculous! $6.30 for a 2x4-8? Have these people fallen and bumped their head? I can remember when a 2x4 was 79 cents.

I have a little bit of building to do, but there is absolutely no way I'm paying these prices. Keep it in the lumber yard to twist up like pretzels. I ain't buying any, not at these prices! Momma didn't raise no fool.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With all the tornado's, hurricanes, and wild fires we have recently had, I knew the prices were going to be high.

This is what a friend told me: On top of the natural disasters, when the corona virus hit was a time when the demand for lumber starts to slack off, so the lumber companies lower production to prevent an over supply issue. With the pandemic, they slowed production more than usual and furloughed employees. Instead of a slowdown in demand, people bought lumber for projects that they didn't have time for otherwise and demand went up and the warehouses were emptied much faster than they could restart and catch up.

You forgot to add in destruction from "peaceful protests".

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happens with every major destructive weather issue. things are sold & prices rise. When hurricane Andrew wiped out Homestead, FL many years ago, we had apartment buildings damage there and suppliers were totaled too. We bought supplies here in VA and shipped 4 tractor trailer loads to FL to do our repairs. You had to chain the generators to your trucks as people would ride by, jump out and grab them -- while you were inside or on the roof!

Now -- with several bad storms & Covid causing work issues, the demand is high and supply lowered. It will recover but, takes a while.

Couple weeks ago I looked for paint brushes and found almost every store out. What??? It's true. This week, shipments arrived at a couple. Same deal -- suppliers closed and buyers increased. Weird!!

I am seeing ample yeast back on store shelves and soon -- there will be canning jar lids in stock. :D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually saw about 10 dozen canning jars on the pallets of supplies delivered to restock @ Walmart this evening when I stopped to pick up my antibiotic prescription.... have to take it everytime I go to the dentist.... because of possible bacteria getting into the blood stream and causing problems in the replaced ankle joint. OF COURSE..... they closed the pharmacy at 7 p.m. and I got there at about 7:45.... on my way home from testing that 240 cow herd today. Forgot about it yesterday until after I got home.... should have gone there before testing. Well, I have PT monday morning and will go there and get it then.....dentist appt is tuesday....
I 'll bet that the jars are all gone by the time I get there Monday.... I am so glad that I just don't need any.... have hundreds in storage.... halfway prepared for next year.....But glad to see that they are starting to trickle into the system again.

I'm glad people are working again. You can't just pull the plug and not expect the tub to drain.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We also noticed that the Portland nightly riots pretty much went away at the same time, although there are fires being started there as well.

Have you noticed that some people are claiming the fires are being caused by climate change, but they almost completely stop at the northern and southern borders? Apparently Canada and Mexico are not suffering from climate change. I thought we were all on the same planet (although sometimes I have my doubts about California)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This may be the answer. https://inhabitat.com/lego-like-bui...ic-allow-colombians-to-build-their-own-homes/

1622574466970.png

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now, there is something that is very interesting ..... actually using the plastic constructively. Shoot, we cannot hardly recycle plastic here anymore because there is no market for it.... We really could use an industry like this.... Build all the housing for the homeless with this stuff.... sure would beat the way the homeless "cities" have sprung up everywhere....and cheap housing at that....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now, there is something that is very interesting ..... actually using the plastic constructively. Shoot, we cannot hardly recycle plastic here anymore because there is no market for it.... We really could use an industry like this.... Build all the housing for the homeless with this stuff.... sure would beat the way the homeless "cities" have sprung up everywhere....and cheap housing at that....
I like the idea... We really need to do something with all this plastic that the world produces.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We went to check prices on sheet metal today. They must totally love DH. He was told he could buy the cover sheets for $1 a foot so basically the protective, outer sheet metal. We ended up buying 199 feet of various colors.

$1 a foot, just for him you say? Thank you Almighty 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸