Sept 2020 - Construction Lumber Prices

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With all the tornado's, hurricanes, and wild fires we have recently had, I knew the prices were going to be high.

This is what a friend told me: On top of the natural disasters, when the corona virus hit was a time when the demand for lumber starts to slack off, so the lumber companies lower production to prevent an over supply issue. With the pandemic, they slowed production more than usual and furloughed employees. Instead of a slowdown in demand, people bought lumber for projects that they didn't have time for otherwise and demand went up and the warehouses were emptied much faster than they could restart and catch up.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happens with every major destructive weather issue. things are sold & prices rise. When hurricane Andrew wiped out Homestead, FL many years ago, we had apartment buildings damage there and suppliers were totaled too. We bought supplies here in VA and shipped 4 tractor trailer loads to FL to do our repairs. You had to chain the generators to your trucks as people would ride by, jump out and grab them -- while you were inside or on the roof!

Now -- with several bad storms & Covid causing work issues, the demand is high and supply lowered. It will recover but, takes a while.

Couple weeks ago I looked for paint brushes and found almost every store out. What??? It's true. This week, shipments arrived at a couple. Same deal -- suppliers closed and buyers increased. Weird!!

I am seeing ample yeast back on store shelves and soon -- there will be canning jar lids in stock. :D
Not only that... if you remember correctly the whole freaking economy shut down unless your Walmart or Kroger. So what does that mean? Well logging was considered non-essential. No trees harvested, no lumber. Not so much supply and demand problem. It's a supply chain problem. You tell loggers they can't work, you get no lumber, plain and simple.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually saw about 10 dozen canning jars on the pallets of supplies delivered to restock @ Walmart this evening when I stopped to pick up my antibiotic prescription.... have to take it everytime I go to the dentist.... because of possible bacteria getting into the blood stream and causing problems in the replaced ankle joint. OF COURSE..... they closed the pharmacy at 7 p.m. and I got there at about 7:45.... on my way home from testing that 240 cow herd today. Forgot about it yesterday until after I got home.... should have gone there before testing. Well, I have PT monday morning and will go there and get it then.....dentist appt is tuesday....
I 'll bet that the jars are all gone by the time I get there Monday.... I am so glad that I just don't need any.... have hundreds in storage.... halfway prepared for next year.....But glad to see that they are starting to trickle into the system again.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My sister lives out in Idaho. She sent me a picture of a fire area, one side of the road was "un-treated" and the other was treated with commercial thinning & prescribed fire 3 years before. The fire totally burned just about everything on the un-treated side while the "treated" side has considerably less fire damage. The fire crowned (tree-top burn) and jumped the dirt road where it dropped from the canopy and decreased in intensity as it traveled through the treated area. The trees in the treated area are alive and will recover.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I visited southern California when my son-in-law was stationed at Camp Pendleton. It was the nastiest air I ever witnessed. Washed my wife's car, the next day it looked like I didn't even wash it. The water on Camp Pendleton was not good either. I'm not trying to be biased but I never seen so many plastic women in one place before.
In California, specifically in Hollywood, they practically worship "beauty", although it's a very specific definition of beauty that has nothing to do with natural beauty.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Too bad one of the poles didn't come down and fry the dumbbell.... sorry, I have no sympathy. Would have served them right... if it is as hot as the guy said in the video, it would have done an instant dead shock to them.... what they deserve. Rather than hurt innocent people..

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not just the homeless, this would be wonderful for ANYONE's house. I can even see where they might be able to colored plastic to make a dominant color in the bricks. Imagine being able to make house sized mosaics!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I believe CL already has a sawmill.....

YEP -- check the lumber in that "old barn". Then, you may not be able to pound a nail in the wood...but good wood.

Prices have gotten outrageous for so many things. I hate buying anything. From nails to food.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why preps are important. Even if the products are nominally available, they may be prohibitively expensive.