Seriously, this helps how??

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I will be glad when the partisanship on this forum runs out.

Fairness Doctrine sounds like it goes against freedom of speech and freedom of the press.
That's exactly what it does. I can't imagine how anyone is for it, other than those who want to squash oppositional voices. Doesn't sound very fair, does it?

It isn't the conservatives' fault that liberal radio doesn't sell. No one is blocking a good lefty talk show host from broadcasting, there just hasn't been one that can make money for the radio station - either it's the personalities involved or the message; since so many personalities have tried, it's got to be the message - and that drives those on the left crazy. Thus, they all want the so-called 'Fairness Doctrine'.

Reaction score
Liberal talk radio is a fairly new concept. Air America started in 2004 when it became apparent that Bush had to go. They actually did fairly well for a while. Al Franken made money then went into politics. I think it's funny a comedian took out an incumbent Senator. Almost as funny as a B grade actor taking out a peanut farmer. Ed Schultz did well and is still doing well. Thom Hartman does well. We have a few local guys here that are mediocre. Randy Rhodes was about the same quality as Rush but her audience was able to think for themselves and rejected a lot of her bull. She used to tell flat out lies just like Rush.

The primary reason liberal radio doesn't exist is that most of the stations in the country are owned by Clear channel and one other mega broadcasting corporation. They are both conservative as are most corporations and a lot of business owners that would buy commercial time.

The Fairness Doctrine just gave equal time for a counter view to give listeners a more rounded concept. It would be a waste of time. Right wingers as well as left usually don't want to hear the other side. So what would be the point. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I wouldn't know, I'm not ignorant, and it surely isn't blissful with my eyes wide open.

Air America tanked. They ran out of funds because their programming wasn't listened to. By anyone. No listeners, no commercials, no dollars. Besides, the left has the lamestream media in their pockets, what do they need AM radio for?

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I wouldn't know, I'm not ignorant, and it surely isn't blissful with my eyes wide open.

Air America tanked. They ran out of funds because their programming wasn't listened to. By anyone. No listeners, no commercials, no dollars. Besides, the left has the lamestream media in their pockets, what do they need AM radio for?
Sorry, wasn't calling you ignorant. If you listen to both sides you're not ignorant. On the other hand I won't listen to Rush or any of the right wing stations inc Fox. So I am ignorant and it is blissful. I don't usually watch network news. The stories are too brief.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Sorry, wasn't calling you ignorant. If you listen to both sides you're not ignorant. On the other hand I won't listen to Rush or any of the right wing stations inc Fox. So I am ignorant and it is blissful. I don't usually watch network news. The stories are too brief.
Interesting. So you admit you don't listen to both sides. I do. I listen and evaluate for myself.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Anybody participating in this thread is listening...er, reading...to the other side. Some people find talk radio show hosts very biased, hate-mongering and overly sensational. There are many other ways to get "the other side."

ETA: Is anybody else getting annoyed with this concept of "the other side?" I am surely starting to be. I would imagine we on this site have way more in common than that which we disagree on. Besides, I don't personally think I can be boxed into one side or the other. I am conservative on some things, moderate on others, liberal on yet others. It's a little boring and false to think we can classify each other so easily.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Anybody participating in this thread is listening...er, reading...to the other side. Some people find talk radio show hosts very biased, hate-mongering and overly sensational. There are many other ways to get "the other side."

ETA: Is anybody else getting annoyed with this concept of "the other side?" I am surely starting to be. I would imagine we on this site have way more in common than that which we disagree on. Besides, I don't personally think I can be boxed into one side or the other. I am conservative on some things, moderate on others, liberal on yet others. It's a little boring and false to think we can classify each other so easily.
I so agree with this!!!! Have you noticed over the last few years there's this US against THEM mentality in this country that is worse than at any time in my long life? There's a chasm that keeps us from remembering that we're all trying to keep our families safe, educated and healthy. I've often said that there was a day on September 12th when President Bush could have asked the whole country to sacrifice almost anything and work together and we would have done it. That moment passed in a swirl of blame and finger pointing and now Obama has done that very thing-asked us to sacrifice and work but I think it's too late. No one trusts anyone else enough to want to help.

Boltstrikes

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A government for the people and by the people. How about a government that lives up to that? No more professional politicians and political party alliances. How about a system where real people are elected? You know maybe throw in someone that has gotten their hands dirty once in a while instead of solely the educated, well off.

Political terms are too long, rotate these people in like jury's. It's a sad day when a good idea doesn't get passed because of one political party or the other blocking it.

4 years of party bashing, and now the other party is responding with the same distasteful tactic...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Welcome, boltstrikes!

When visual media is the campaigning tool of politicians, it takes some serious dough to get the job done. He or she with the most money wins.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but campaign finance reform!