Seven hens a laying

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So happy around here, I have 8 hens at this time.
Well yesturday they surpisred me with 7 yes count them 7 eggs.
Thats a real increase from 2 -4.a day.
So I guess molt is over and spring surly can't be far off.

We are having quiche this week

My girls lay in shifts, so far this morning I have 4, so I expect more within a few hours.

So is anyone else's egg production up?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine are picking up too!
Your shift-laying hens are hilarious, I'm imagining a stack of timecards at the door to the coop.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Mine are picking up! I have been getting 2-4 chicken eggs a day, plus one duck egg, and today, My new goose just laid her first egg! :celebrate

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Our hens are not quite a year old, and we are getting 5-6 eggs every day out of 6 hens. :clap Ours also seem to lay in shifts, but not every day. Some morning I will have 6 eggs by 8:00 am and others, like today for instance, it took until 1:00 pm before the last hen left the laying box so I could collect them and we got 5 today. Believe me, I am not complaining! :weee

So.......who else here thanks their hens for their work when you gather the eggs? Am I the only one? :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I say, "Thank you for the eggies!" when I pick up eggs, especially if I reach under a hen.

I went out yesterday to get eggs and there were two nest boxes with two hens stuffed into each, one on the floor in the corner sqeezing out and egg, and one in the goat's communal stall working on one while two of her sisters gathered around her.

We are filling an envelope with egg money that will become feeder pig money....woohoo!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
who else here thanks their hens for their work when you gather the eggs? Am I the only one?
I am getting 1 out of 4 right now. I say "Thanks for the egg whoever layed it. The rest of you pay attention and follow your sister's example!"

LOL

I am also getting an occasional "jello egg" so someone else is at least trying.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Our egg production never really slowed down. We have never had this happen before. We were all prepared to not get any eggs for a month or two, but they just kept on laying. We now have a refridgerator full of eggs!!! Well, not really, but it sure feels like it :p Now I get to figure out what to do with them all. We don't have enough customers...
I figure I have to give some more away and hopefully snag some new customers in the process :lol:

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also thank my girls "thanks girls and keep up the good work" now if we are having a slow week it's" now who doesn't want to go into a pot-get busy!" lol

FD thats great, I wish you luck in finding new customers.

I'll also be looking for a few new ones this spring.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I do thank my girls when they give me eggs. This was bad winter where, out of 10 laying hens, I was getting about 5 a WEEK. hmmf. I also tell them that they are going to feed me one way or the other. i am now gettin one to two a day.

So, yes production is up a bit. Theyre still not free of the other threat until they start giving me more eggs.

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My daughter will "thank" her hens by giving them a big hug. If we have slackers though they are told: "breakfast or dinner, which one is it gonna be?":D

Latest posts