Seven hens a laying

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Country Momma said:
My daughter will "thank" her hens by giving them a big hug. If we have slackers though they are told: "breakfast or dinner, which one is it gonna be?":D
Thats a good one too. I'll hafta ask them that later on when I go out again.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We are up...although we now only have 3 hens. Two of them are laying agin and I get 1-2 eggs a day.

Miss Willie, the one who likes to lay her eggs in the rosemary, is another story. Either that crazy girl has given up on egg production all together or the little sneak has found a new spot. So far I am perplexed.

I do thank them when I gather eggs. I shake my head at them and call them slackers when there are no eggs though. I also say goodnight to them and tell them to sleep well every night when I 'tuck them in'. :love

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How cute!

We're getting rid of most of our hens. Only keeping the EE girls, the Red Hens are going to find new homes (those that are healthy/nice enough and the others will be dinner).

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had 4 hard weeks after Christmas of virtually no eggs, but I'm back to getting anywhere from 6 to 12 a day. Eggs sales are picking back up too. Thankfully, I haven't had to turn any customers away, though.

I get 3-4 duck eggs too.

Still have some freeloading ducks and chickens (and a goose) that need to start producing. :rolleyes:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Still have some freeloading ducks and chickens (and a goose) that need to start producing. :rolleyes:
My goose is laying :p :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I had 4 hard weeks after Christmas of virtually no eggs, but I'm back to getting anywhere from 6 to 12 a day. Eggs sales are picking back up too. Thankfully, I haven't had to turn any customers away, though.

I get 3-4 duck eggs too.

My ducks are not laying either. Is that normal for muscovies? they were hatched in april or may of last year. I just assumed they would wait till spring, since I didn't get any before winter.

Anyone know? I have 4 hens and 2 drakes that are freeloading right now.

The quail are on hiatus also. Since the light wasn't helping the chickens lay, I unplugged it, so the quail stopped laying too. Soon daylight will be long enough to get them going again.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah all 3 of my Buff Orp Ducks are freeloaders. They never started laying, they were picked up in May of 2009 as day olds :( I too assumed they'd start up in the spring.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
The only duck I have laying right now is my Rouen duck...and she's only laying an egg about every other day right now.