Seven hens a laying

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My ducks are not laying either. Is that normal for muscovies?
Yup. They are seasonal layers. Give them a couple of weeks.

As for the buffs, they lay about 200 eggs/year. Mine started to lay mid-february when I had her. I bought her in december and she was a spring hatch from the previous year.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orps basically took the coldest weeks of the winter off which really wasn't fair since they were the last ones to even start laying eggs and then they go on vacation. Luckily, the Easter Eggers are my favorites and they not only started laying first but kept right on going so we haven't had to worry about eggs all winter. Now it's getting crazy out there but we've donated about 60 fertile eggs to a couple of schools and my kids love quiche so we'll get rid of them.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Just the opposite for me farmerlor, my RIR and BO have proven to be the best layers during the winter. My Ameraucanas, Black Aust., and my lone EEer decided to go on a loooong vacation. :rolleyes: My Ameraucanas havn't started laying yet, and they hatched in May!! :/

That BO is about ready for the stew pot! She has proven to be my worst layer and she has the personality and the smarts of a cardboard cut out. :rolleyes: Daft, I tell ya.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
That BO is about ready for the stew pot! She has proven to be my worst layer and she has the personality and the smarts of a cardboard cut out. :rolleyes: Daft, I tell ya.
This made me LAUGH out loud!
and I have one hen like that! All the rest file right into the chicken yard, but not her. She has to run around and around the coop/yard trying to figure out how to get in (like she hasn't ever gone thru the gate!!). :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we are drowning in eggs - seriously. the hens are completely out of control and the dogs cant eat one. more. egg. i'm starting to pawn them off on the folks are church.

stop hens stop!

we are going to be over run this spring!!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another great egg day out here in the west

I got another 7 eggs from my 8 girls--

So someone is slacking off hmmmmmmmmmmm

Gonna have to pay more attention and find out which one, and then theaten her with the POT!!

I know its not my EE but its one of those buffs.

time will tell, time will tell

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Just the opposite for me farmerlor, my RIR and BO have proven to be the best layers during the winter. My Ameraucanas, Black Aust., and my lone EEer decided to go on a loooong vacation. :rolleyes: My Ameraucanas havn't started laying yet, and they hatched in May!! :/

:lol: :lol: :gig

I pruned the BOs out of my flock.....mine were the same way. Plus they were the most....er..... "loose" chickens I had. Always had bare backs and my other hens were not getting fertilized enough. :rolleyes:

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We were getting about 19 out of 24 almost every day. Then we discovered that our BSL decided that the hay loft was way cozier than the custom made next boxes, or just got tired of waiting her turn, and we found about 18 of her eggs stashed up there. She still lays one every day for us. I thought "Woot! Now we'll get 20 a day!" But it was not to be. We had three go broody. Again. I'm going to trade on of those stinkin' BO's for a rooster so I can at least get some souveniers from their vacations next time. ;)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We get about 12 out of 19 eggs everyday. I'm sure its 12 from all different hens. Soon I'll be getting 5 eggs! My red hens are going to new homes :O