Sewing for $$

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't know if you'd be interested or what the market is like in your area, but around here there are a couple of self-employed seamstress/dressmaker people who pretty frequently run ads seeking additional help, I think it is on an irregular catch-as-catch-can basis (like, for whenever they get too much business to handle all of it themselves), although someone recently set up an actual rented-office-space shop in town and advertised a fulltime position open.

(Their ads always catch my eye because they invariably say "sewer wanted" which to me means something else LOL)

So what I am thinking is, if you could nose around and see if anyone in your area is hiring in that way, not only would it probably get you (at least temporarily) around any zoning issues -- and I've seen people get really screwed when the municipal office suddenly gets a bug up its butt and goes after unlicensed home-occupations people after years of ignoring them -- but it would also get you in touch with the business side of things, like pricing and strategies and so forth.

Then once you'd absorbed as much eddification as you wanted, you could go independant. (Thinking thru the zoning thing first). Obviously you might not happen to MENTION wanting to do that when you are applying for jobs LOL but you know.

Just a thought,

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh, one other thought - I used to know someone who (she said; I didn't know her that well, I assume it was true) used to sell clothes she made thru a local upscale consignment shop. She apparently had to try several before she found one that was ok with putting stuff without designer labels on its racks (tho I suppose you could get your own labels made up, and who would know or care, as long as the garment was finished to a professional standard?). But, she would make whatever thingamajiggie took her fancy, wear it a couple of times maybe, then sell it thru the consignment shop for usually (she said) more than the cost of the materials.

Pat

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
That's an interesting thought. Once I figure out how to sew at a professional enough level and learn to make things that can fit more than one size, i'll open an etsy shop.

Not ANYWHERE near yet though ;)

Two years maybe. We'll see!
I've noticed too that there's a HUGE calling for doll clothes. If you can make American Doll doll clothes for cheaper than they charge at the store or catalog or wherever you get American Doll stuff you'd be rollin' in the dough. Personally, I can't afford American Doll but I know a lot of women who have them for themselves and their kids and they want CLOTHES!
In this economy I would imagine that just basic mending skills offered to busy people who don't know how or don't have time would be a Huge thing.....as I sit here with a pair of my son's jeans that I STILL haven't patched and they're his favorite. (sigh)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One thing you have to remember Abi is that you'll be dealing with all kinds of people and some of them can be real b*tches. "This is too tight.. you didn't make this like I told you...This dress makes my a** look big". You know, that kind of thing. I'm just not tactful enough to handle that kind of crap (can I say that word?). :lol:

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A lady I set up next to at Farmer's Market does alterations out of her home. She hems pants or jeans, and patches holes in for $5 a piece. Pretty cheap I'd say, but we're in a rural area and cost of living is low.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This lady works from home (her DH is a civil engineer for the state) and she raises chickens for meat and eggs, sheep (lamb for butchering), sells baked goods at farmer's market, and does some sewing. I think she does a pretty good business since people have found out she will do little jobs for not much $. Maybe once you get started with the alterations and mending, someone might ask you for help with larger projects.