Sewing Machines

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would go to a sewing machine store and ask for a used/reconditioned sewing machine. I prefer an older simple Singer - ask them about the kind they use in the schools to teach the kids to sew. A used machine would probably be cheaper as well.

The sewing store should be able to provide a good machine, possibly a warranty, moral support and maybe even some beginner classes.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just don't buy one from Walmart...been there, done that ;)
I too would go to a sewing shop. Buy a used one if that is all you can afford. Keep in mind that Singer has been bought out in recent years...made in China now...JUNK unless you can find an older one.
I have a Brother, made in Japan, and I am very happy wth it. Japan is very well known for quality as far as I am concerned, they also have really nice cotton fabrics :>)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have had two old singer treadle machines in the past and I wish I would have kept them. They are so much easier to deal with I think. I now have an old electric singer from back in the 50's. It was gave to me and it works perfect :thumbsup . The older machines is the way to go though I think ,....a much better investment. Not unless you are like me,..and you figure out you hate to sew. :lol:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have an Elna. I bought it used, while in college, for $500, in 1974. Its a work horse, and keeps on running. I love the cams and the attachments too. I had it serviced in 1986 and its still running fine.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought a Wal~Mart machine and HATED it. Gave it away.

I got the family sewing machine. A Singer Slant-o-Matic. Older than I am but running great. It has cool attachments - monogrammer, buttonholer, etc.

Get an old machine if you can. Much better quality!

I got an industrial machine for $50. Resale value is over $1000! Of course I haven't taken it in to get "timed" so I can't use it. :he

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Hi,
New here. Been sewing a long time. The best machines are all steel head and gears, Italian or European. I have a Euro-Pro Denim Deluxe bought new 13 yrs.ago. to replace a Nelco that I wore out after 25 yrs. of sewing. (Italian). Nelco used to be Necchi which is What Lehmans has in the treadle picture. Very pricey but probably worth it if you divide the price by 25 yrs.,It would be a machine to pass down as an heirloom. I also just bought a Viking Husqvarna 960 computerized, 20 yrs. old on E-bay for $68 including postage. Sews like a dream making a quilt top on it now. Also bought a used Viking 4 needle serger some years ago for $400.00, its still in the box. DD keeps the old Franklin (from sears and roebuck) treadle I bought from a flee market 30 yrs. ago, she sews mohair teddy bears on it, I think it is over 100 yrs. old.. I would like to try a Bernina 830 but at about $6000.00 +or - I might have to wait 25 yrs and buy a used one. ha. Think I'll live that long?Or for that matter will I be able see to sew? Hope you find something good.

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I found a Morse Zigzag (I believe it's called) for $40 on Craigslist. When I got it, it did have a minor issue, but I fixed it myself. I love this machine! It is an older workhorse and weighs a bazillion pounds, and I can sew anything with it! from 2 layer thin fabric to heavy duty thick 8 layer leather!

BlueMountain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Professional seamstress here, I sew reproduction mid 19th Century corsets, cage crinolines, petticoats, dresses, etc. These, esp. the corsets can be tought on a machine. The one I use that I have had for ten plus years, a 1922 model Singer 66. Tough as nails, metal gears, can sew through denim, leather, bulky corset layers, upholstery fabric with ease. I also have the Singer 66 version in a treadle, it was built in 1918. Just as good. I got both these machines on ebay. Paid $25.00 for the electric one and $80.00 for the treadle (plus shipping of $25.00 and $35.00 respectively). The treadle was electrified and I reworked it back to a treadle to use with a base I already had. Basically a matter of unscrewing the motor and light and placing it in the treadle base with a new leather treadle belt. These also come with cool attachments that will do lots of neat things but, they are strictly straight, forward stitch, no bells and whistles. Just my opinion as someone who sews every day, all day.

Latest posts