Sewing Machines

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Blue, how do these old machines do on modern lightweight fabrics like curtain sheers? Modern shirtweights cottons?

I would love an old machine! But have no clue as to how to buy one. I am afraid I'd get a "good price" then end up paying hundreds to get it into working condition....

I HATE my current machine, a cheap Brother that is impossible to get the tension correct on, lots of skipped and uneven stitches. Hate it. Used to have a Kenmore that served me well for many years, then I thought it would be better to get a simple new machine than getting the old one fixed. Dumb mistake.

I'd love an antique....would you be willing to review a few ads for me and give an opinion? Feel free to PM me.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Betsy,

If you haven't bought anything yet, I've my mother's singer (circa 1960's) machine, desk, and stool, and a wards (circa 1980's) and ALL accessories I'm trying to sell. Basically I took everything that was in the desk and dumped it in a box, what was left over fit in one of those xmas popcorn cans.

PM me if you're interested and I can give you more details.

Jax

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
You can also try going to a local high school and see if they have any sewing machines they are looking to sell. Periodically they replace the ones they use in home ec classes and you can get a good machine for cheap and just take it to be serviced. My mom got her Janome that way.

BlueMountain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The old Singers I have handle delicate fabrics better than my former modern machine (of course you have to set the tension properly and use the proper needle and weight thread but, the owner's manuals will help with that and for Singers they are easy to get if one is not with the machine) . I have sewn a silk organza Civil War dress, several silk taffetas, a whole, whole lot of quilting and shirtweight cotton dresses and pima and muslin cotton underpinnings on them. They truly can go from the lightest, most delicate fabrics to leather. Very versatile machines.

Broadly speaking, if you can turn the hand wheel on the machine and it moves freely allowing the needle to go up and down the machine is most likely going to work. All you really need to do to find out (if you are there in person) is thread the machine and give it a test run with a piece of scrap fabric. On ebay, the seller will most likely know if the machine works and will say so in the auction. PM me if you need help, I will be glad to help you search for likely candidates. I love the old machines and know that they are better than modern plastic gear stuff so I like to see them "rescued" and put back into use.

On a side note, when I got my first antique/vintage machine, I knew nothing about maintenance or that kind of thing. I always took my modern machines to the shop but, I found that when it came to the old machines, the guy at the shop was less knowledgable than I was simply due to the fact that sewing on the machine gave me an intimate knowledge of it. I now do all my own maintenance and repairs after just a little bit of research and the purchase of a copy of the repair manuals. I like not being dependant upon a repair shop to keep my machines in top form.