Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to crochet all year long for the holiday gifts. My two sisters always managed to fight over who got the better item. Even when I started making them the EXACT same thing, they still found cause to fight. So, I quit. These days, those I really love get the handmade stuff year round. So, I tend to make it a point to get store bought gifts for my family and friends. Things they would not buy for themselves. Fortunately, my loved ones are not spoiled. So most of the 'frivolous' items are actually pretty useful. Much of which is SS type stuff.

I love the breakfast basket idea! Thats just wonderful! I have recently moved and have all sorts of new friends and neighbors that is going to be so much fun to do. Thanks!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Most of our family isn't even polite about it. If we gave soap, eggs, and jams, they would throw them out. That's what happened to the last soap I gave as gifts. :(
Each year we have a 'gift exchange' where we draw names and we must purchase $75 worth of gifts for that person. The price was determined by my ritzy 'high class' sister in England. So for a family member, when she was opening the gift from me, I joked that it was $75 of handmade soap. Needless to say she did not laugh.
That is exactly how my family reacts to the home made gifts I gave one year. I had cross stitched a set of pillow cases with Angles..and the words..."Angels on your pillows, and always in your dreams." Put them in a beautiful gold lattice basket with a soothing scented candle, and a ceramic angle. I gave each of my sisters one set..my oldest sister opened her and said..." Oh, pillow cases" My other sister said.." since both of our gifts are the same shape, I guess I can assume they are the same thing, I will open mine later" I was crushed. I worked hard on that cross stitch. I thought they turned out beautiful. The cross stitch on the reverse side matched the front. Not easy to do! So, now, they get gift cards, or booze. 2 things they both like more than anything. :rolleyes: SNOBS!!! I dread the family holiday get together. They always want to have it here....and guess who gets to feed them all?? "because we butcher a hog, and raise a garden, we have it all" Their words, NOT mine!! Maybe this year we will be "sick" People don't like to come visit when you have diarrhea ;)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This past Christmas I really was sick and sent hubby on to his family without me. I LOVED IT! At least I didn't have to sit there with a smile plastered on my face while he opens bags and bags of stuff like candy and cookies (not homemade). They all know we both are diabetic. I dislike holidays!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Homemade soaps, jellies and jams, mead, crocheted items and cross-stitched pillowcases......wow! Are any of you looking to adopt a slighty chubby granny who has a great appreciation of handmade gifts?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh Debbie! I am so sorry to hear that, you are so right, SNOBS! Weren't you the one that had the pigs and you were housing one for your sister, and it didn't get fully castrated and so it tasted bad and she blamed it on you? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else..

Thanks, Savingdogs! I guess my siblings prefer the chemical induced scented crap. Not me, that stuff irritates my eyes, skin, and lungs.

I would LOVE to have a homemade/handmade gift exchange but I know everyone but my mother would veto the idea. I don't think my sister and her family are participating this year anyway because they recently disowned us. Just as well.

Our neighbors (an herbalist and her woodworking beek husband) always gave the most AMAZING gift baskets, handmade soaps, honey, wine and mead, I just love homemade gifts, they mean so much more to me.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
So far I am making some fruit only no sugar jam for my BIL who is diabetic.

Soap for my D1 as well as some of those super cool Blast Match fire starters for her, my sisters husband, and my SIL.

Meat from the cow we are getting processed next week for my Geek son.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
justusnak said:
They always want to have it here....and guess who gets to feed them all?? "because we butcher a hog, and raise a garden, we have it all" Their words, NOT mine!! Maybe this year we will be "sick" People don't like to come visit when you have diarrhea ;)
Since they don't appreciate your hard work anyway I wouldn't waste any of it on them. I would certainly host again this year. A theme Christmas! Ask them all to dress in suitable "farm" wear and feed them some REAL home-style cookin'. Looks like a hot dog and beer Christmas from where I am sitting! ;)

Give them each a gift wrapped six pack of the cheapest beer around. They can drink it with dinner! :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I could make all sorts of soaps for my family, but none of them care about soap. They all use liquid forms. :smack
Ungrateful punks!
You can put me on your gift list anytime...I think homemade soap if wonderful.....phewy on them! :hugs

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
some of those super cool Blast Match fire starters for her, my sisters husband, and my SIL.
Ok, FF....you can't just say soemthing you are making is 'Super Cool' and then not elaborate!

*off to Google* :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Dace said:
Farmfresh said:
some of those super cool Blast Match fire starters for her, my sisters husband, and my SIL.
Ok, FF....you can't just say soemthing you are making is 'Super Cool' and then not elaborate!

*off to Google* :p
Buying the Blast match starters - not making them. I learned about them on one of our threads about tool for when TSHTF. ;)