Share your tips for lowering grocery bills here! :D

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've just started doing this, so I'm hoping it works. I got tired of thinking a sale price was good, then the next week seeing it for even cheaper. So I'm starting to write down prices when I see them, the price, and the store it's in. Eventually, I'll have a large list of sale prices, and will be able to reference the list when coupons come out. Example: Butter-$1.50 one week, $1.33 another week, and finally $1.25 another week. Then I'll know when to really stock up. Also, then I can compare when I go to Costco as well.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
dnsnthegrdn said:
Do you have a cherry pitter? I picked many sour cherries last year but pitting them with the juice dribbling down my arms was the pits!
I just have a cheap plastic one that my mother in law gave me. I just pulled out a little table and layered it with towels. Same deal for me, juice running down my arms. I'd just rub my arms along the towel as I was working or rest my arms on the towels as I did it. I kept some wrinkly hands as well.
I know this is off subject, but I just have to try to help! :) I use a U-shaped woman's bobby pin, the open thin variety. You stick the U part into the cherry, holding the long straight sides in your hand. The U part hooks around the pit and pulls it out. Very fast. Not sure there's any way to pit cherries without making a mess, though!

me&thegals

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I decided on a reasonable amount of money that I was allowed to spend per month on food... not a crazy, cheap amount, but not a buy-all-you-want.... THEN, i take that 1/4 that amount each week, and that is my entire week's allowance for EVERYTHING... so, as long as I don't drive farther than my kid's school, I can buy the groceries I want... but if I want to do anything other than that, or buy anything like makeup, or hair ties, I have to cut down on the grocery spending. Also, I have chickens, that should soon lay more eggs than the food they eat, so if I sell 6 dozen eggs a week (including some duck), they should pay for themselves, and my hubby can get off my back... Also, I buy meat at the beginning of the week, 3 kinds, usually beef, chicken and a fish or shrimp. then I freeze whichever one I am not going to use in the first couple of days, and make the other days with either leftover meat, or veggie dinners, like pasta and sauce, or tofu (which goes on GREAT sales). I usually try to shop on Tuesday Mornings, which are not really busy, so I don't spend a lot of time in line, where my kids usually want everything in sight.... And, when we're getting them, we eat a LOT of eggs. Omelets for breakfast, crepes for sunday brunch (SO EASY!!! and yummy! and seems fancy!), sometimes scrambled eggs for lunch or dinner. I think that cutting out breakfast cereal is an interesting idea. We go through LOTS of cereal. My girls will often come up and just randomly want cereal during the day... one the one hand, it's full of vitamins and minerals, and on the other hand, it's mostly processed grains... Oatmeal might be better for them... I might be moving away from the whole cereal thing... we NEVER buy sugary cereal.. the sugariest my kids get is Life, never things like choco-whatever, or trix, or fruit loops or anything. I buy my cheese and butter at walmart, and save enough money to buy a gallon of organic milk per week for my kids. I buy organic when I think it's crucial, but not just blindly, not organic cheese (can't afford it!), or cereal... but do buy bulk organic flour, oats, rice, beans etc.... I think someone already said it, but beans are super cheap... super, duper cheap, and if you deleted 2 regular dinners, and made instead 2 rice/beans dishes, you'd be saving a lot of money... how about rice/bean burritos? cheap! make your own tortillas, make a bunch and freeze them! I wish I had a deep freezer, in fact, I'm going to go cruise craigslist now....

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have to create habits that reduce ALL of your overall food costs. I refuse to shop at stores whose prices are always higher, UNLESS there is that one item on super-sale and it's close and convenient for me to buy it in quantity and STORE it. (Stores have sales to attract NEW customers, anyway.)
It is a waste of money and time to run all over town chasing sales. We get a daily paper at work and all of us share coupons, and I check to see best deals and to mark down sales on items on my "wish list."
I've been buying groceries for 30 years now, so I already know the current prices on the stuff I usually buy.
ALSO---
--BUDGET YOUR GROCERY MONEY!!!!!
--Make a list and try to stick to it
--Buy food with cash only!! V E R Y I M P O R T A N T!!
--Eat leftovers
--Save up and buy a large upright freezer
--Save up and buy a 2nd small refridgerator
--Freeze (label, if necessary) all meat that you're not going to cook/eat by tomorrow
--Buy meat in large portions, if possible
--If possible, find a store where the butcher can do your cuts for you---you'll waste less
--Clean spoiled food out of the fridge as often as you can to make room
--Buy small portions ONLY of food that only one of you likes, so you won't have to throw it away when it goes bad
--Organize and clean up your pantry (area)
--Buy shelving units to store canned/jarred/boxed food that will last awhile
--Keep food stored OFF the floor (of your pantry) Store cans on a piece of wood or plastic to keep from rusting
--Buy in bulk, BUT, don't break the bank with, like a Sam's card if your're not going to get the $ paid/per year back QUICKLY--What is it now, $40.00 ?!?
--Figure out the number of: T.P. rolls, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc. (non-perishable essentials) you use and stagger bulk purchases. This way you'll have an ample supply for several months at a time, yet not break the bank by buying ALL at one time, and you won't run out of all of them at the same time, either.
--ALDI sells good food, so buy your cereal there (Big Lots and other discount stores will sell you expired groceries, if you're not careful)
--Use plastic grocery bags in your trash cans--it saves time, water and soap for cleaning.
--Line your outside garbage cans--they usually take the 33-gallon sized bag
--Buy mistint paint on the day AFTER the weekend or holiday--store it where it won't freeze and it will work for projects even next year
--Buy only GOOD paint--cheap paint is watered down and works like a whitewash, and looks like a watermark
--Buy paint brushes on the cheap--wherever they are only uber cheap sale
--When you have extra cash, purchase tool kits that have a zippered bag or a good box and are on sale--this can keep you from buying extra screwdrivers or other tools.
--Store batteries in a drawer along with a battery tester
--Buy name brand batteries--the other ones go bad fast!
--Buy and use rechargable batteries
--Buy solar mini-lights to use in dark places in your yard (I have 4 that are going on 1 1/2 years on the same batteries!!)
FINALLY, check to see if everyone in your household is still eating/using particular projects, so you don't buy what isn't being consumed. :D

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Use a price book with items you frequently buy, recording prices at what time of year and best store price. Example one store has the best price for the lunch meat DH likes, it also has the best price on canned beans and soups. I go once a month and buy only the items with the best price, freeze the lunch meat. Wash and reuse ziplock bags. I only toss ones that had raw meat. My DH is on the road and I pack raw veggies and trail mix..., he brings the bags back and they are good until they don't seal well. I never make a recipe for two, extra servings are frozen as road food. My DH is out for two weeks at a time and spends $20. Just got and am learning to use a pressure canner. Made 7 pints of chicken broth with 2 carcasses and blanching water that I freeze and reuse next time I have a load of veggies to prep. Lots of minerals in that water. Kept all stock strainings for chicken treats. Bought a good water purifier a few years ago and have saved a ton on buying cleaner water Learn to cut up a chicken, yes, you will botch some up but save a ton. Do three or four at a time so you have enough wings and things for some meals. Buy butter in the block for regular use, quartered only for baking. Make and keep updater a list of things in the freezer, I do it by shelf and cross off when I use and add when I put away. I can find things quickly and grab the list to make sure I use items for my meal plans that I already have. Just started this last time I cleaned my freezer and it was time consuming but such a time saver every day and no repeat purchases. That's all I can think of without repeating others. Yes I use a list and a shopping list on the fridge for just thought of or used the last of items.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been trying the dollar a pound diet. I read in it the Jeff Yeager book The Ultimate Cheapskates Roadmap to True Riches. He says he nevers eats anything that cost more then a dollar per pound. That leaves only the healthy whole foods like fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, lean meats, etc. It keeps your wallet and you in good health. You don't have to clip coupons, pay for clubstore membership and look for big sales.

I can testify that beans, grains, seasonal fruits and vegetables and most herbs and spices - i'm vegetarian and forgo the lean meats - are cheap, especially in bulk or from ethnic stores. You can easily make a very cheap, healthy and delicious meal at home for pennies. If you can join a CSA or harvest free produce this is even better.

Also, being a vegetarian that cooks mainly vegan - having a hard time giving up cheese and chocolate - meals further reduces how much you spend on groceries. Vegetable protein is far less expensive than animal protein.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
These are all great ideas and one thing for sure I've got to start doing is to plan my meals/menus ahead.

Things I already do...

*Make a shopping list and include about how much I can spend on each item. I tend to over estimate the cost, so I have some to play with if I find in store sales on things we need/use. If I don't find any sales then I come away from the store under budget. woohoo!! :weee

*I sometimes buy larger cuts of meat and cut it to OUR serving size myself and freeze in Ziploc bags. (1 full cut round steak can make atleast 4 meals for us-me, hubby, and 2 boys ages 10 & 8). I save any beef bones and trimmings for soup/broth. Also, I buy bulk hamburger and package it too. We almost never use a full pound of hamburger in most recipes. I buy whole chickens. When we have fried chicken, I cut it up using our favorite pieces and saving the backs and necks for soup/broth. Also, I sometimes check out the reduced price meat sections for great deals on small packs, as long as it's not too bad it can be cooked right away or frozen.

*I do reuse the freezer bags, even those used for meat. Most of the time I wash my dishes by hand and will add some bleach and wash all my plastics first before the water gets too yucky.

*I have a large garden and grow most of our veggies. Eaten fresh, or frozen, or canned.

*Make alot of stuff from scratch, including cookie dough, spaghetti sauce, meatballs, bread (will sometimes pinch off some dough, roll flat, make a cut or two and fry in a little oil, spread with butter, maybe honey or jam for a treat), and pocket breads that is stuffed with whatever is on hand, leftover,-kids love the small ones filled with scrambled eggs, sausage and cheese for hand held hot breakfast (or put in tortilla) or stuffed with tuna, shrimp or chicken salad. Alot of these, I will buy ingredients when on sale, make alot when I have time and freeze. (my version of convenience foods) :p

*have a "clean out the fridge night" atleast once a week.

*Buy block cheese on sale and shred it at home. Unopened pkg can stay fine in fridge for atleast a month or more. Once opened is sliced or shredded for use and freeze the rest.

*Buy dry beans, barley, rice (not instant) etc. Rice is used for many things, the dry beans are for chili, ham hocks and beans, soup and barley is for soup too.

*find only one, maybe 2 favorite stores to shop that have the best prices on the things used most. you can waste more gas and time running from store to store than you would ever save.-found that one out the hard way. Unless it's a special purchase, extremly great deal or you're going that way anyway.

*Double check the price comparison from warehouse stores + membership dues to regular stores sales. For some I know do both and swear by both. I used to go to Costco or Sam's Club
(member of each, but different times), but also had to go to local grocery. Warehouse stores were great, but I didn't always have enough money to buy cases of some things and still get everything we needed. In comparing the prices per unit, I found most things we needed and used were actually cheaper at the grocery store anyway. Sometimes when you only have so many dollars to spend for everything, you find just how much you can really do without. If you like the warehouse stores, try to buddy up with someone for shared costs on membership and large purchases.

*I usually don't buy name brand products, going more for store brand because of cost. Sometimes I find sales on name brands that are either cheaper than store brands or only a few cents more. But I don't always buy the cheapest brand either. Sometimes the rule of "you get what you pay for" holds true. There is atleast one super cheap brand out here that is not always a good buy and I usually try to steer clear of it.

:ep and that's all I can think of off the top of me pea brain but I'm sure there's more. and more I could do. :ep

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't bought plastic bags for a while- mostly put stuff in reusable Tupperware-type containers. When I do need to wrap something up, I use the lining I've saved from cereal boxes, or else bags that store bread came in (all washed out, of course)

Frozen cannned juice gets reconsituted with an extra can or so of water.

Yogurt is made with powdered milk (can't taste the difference in yogurt, although drinking the stuff is gross! :sick)

Tea bags can be saved in the refrigerator and used 2 or 3 times.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chipmunk, I love your saying....Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without....that has been our motto around the house for some time now. :D

Latest posts