Share your tips for lowering grocery bills here! :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
CJ, our local Winco marks down pre packaged meat severely the day or two before it's use by date. I recently got 5 pound chubs of 7% fat ground beef for less than $3 a chub. 60 cents a pound. I have 10 packages of 12 breakfast sausages each for 49 cents, and rolls of turkey sausage for the same. They told me that they mark down at different times of the day to make it fair. I get my canning jars there as well, under $6 a case. It's my favorite store. You can see it from the corner of my lot...so it's like Mecca.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I KNOW that we all do at least some of these things regularly, but here's another point: If you're working long hours and you know that you DON'T have meal ingredients waiting at home, get to know the grocery stores near you and buy THEIR in-house convenience dinners. It is cheaper than at a fast food restaurant and you won't need to tip. Many have excellent baked goods--I bought a great loaf of sourdough from WalMart they other day--same price as prepackaged bread, but fresher. I think that if we all work at it, we can reduce our costs so that our average weekly/monthly/yearly food, but sometimes it's really hard for some people who are working long hours every week, anxious to keep their jobs, to economize without pulling 18-20 hour days working to organize their homes, too. Just some "food for thought." :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You are right. People have different lifestyles and different priorities. Hope you don't feel "less than" for any reason at all.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
You are right. People have different lifestyles and different priorities. Hope you don't feel "less than" for any reason at all.
ME?--no insult taken. I just know that we have a lot of people on the forum who should know that they're part of the "clan," too. :hugs

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I appreciate that as well, as I live on one of the busiest intersections in our town of 125,000. At first I felt like I wasn't good enough to be here because I didn't live on a farm. Then I read some more and realized that I wasn't the lone ranger and it was about intent, not circumstances. Does that make sense?

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I appreciate that as well, as I live on one of the busiest intersections in our town of 125,000. At first I felt like I wasn't good enough to be here because I didn't live on a farm. Then I read some more and realized that I wasn't the lone ranger and it was about intent, not circumstances. Does that make sense?
Never lived on a farm either, though wanted to for a most of my childhood. I live in older housing development in a city of about 210,000. Do have chickens and a vegetable garden. To be honest, I think it is cheaper and more feasible to live in an urban area. The outlay cost to live in the county, especially in CA, is more than I think most can afford.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Plus there are a surprising amount of opportunities in the urban setting to save money on high quality foods. Lots of people attract lots of farmers markets, CSA's and other food enterprises that bring the food to the people. Sometimes there is money to be saved (or made) at these kinds of offerings.

Myself I have bought canning tomatoes at a great price and even sold my surplus blackberries at our local Farmer's Market. Both help that bottom line as far as the groceries are concerned.

You are so right Ldychef2k it is not WHERE we live it is all about HOW we choose to live.

Reaction score
DianeB said:
Ldychef2k said:
Never lived on a farm either, though wanted to for a most of my childhood. I live in older housing development in a city of about 210,000. Do have chickens and a vegetable garden. To be honest, I think it is cheaper and more feasible to live in an urban area. The outlay cost to live in the county, especially in CA, is more than I think most can afford.
Well it kind of depends. We used to live about 30 miles from the nearest box store. That's how I define civilization. Our house and acreage is worth about the same as a 3000 sq ft house in a suburban area here in Co. Of course that house is on a 4000 sq ft lot. Difference is I can pass gas without the neighbors smelling it. On top of that I can waste a ton of money on livestock. Eggs right out of the chicken and a healthy dose of flies during the summer. Having as many kids as I do I like living out here. No gangs at the school and most of the parents are down to earth and don't buy designer clothes for heir kids. Yup, we're stepin in high cotton.

As far as belonging to this forum goes. All you need is a keyboard and you'll fit right in.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it is cheaper based on transportation costs. It is feasible to either ride my bike or take a bus almost everywhere. Though people may argue, you don't have to own a car or only one car per household. As for buying a house, you actually have to buy a house. This will not happen for me or many others in the near future. It is easier to rent in the city. Also, employment and business oppurtunities are much better. Also, there is just more oppurtunities to buy at discount.

I am not dissing rural life. I wanted to live in the country for as long as I can remember. If I could, I would be their right now. Unfortunately, my circumstances just won't allow it.

P.S. There is about 6 shopping centers within 2 miles of my house. If I need something, I can literally walk from store to store to shop around. I actually like that. It is convienent and don't need to buy an expensive car. The nearest big box store is Target and it is about 4 miles away. Can get their on bike through mostly residental roads in under 25 minutes (with lights).

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DianeB said:
Ldychef2k said:
Hmmm, where do I fit in?:p I have about 4 acres and can see, from my driveway, the major grocery store, a bank, gas station, and McD's. Turn my head the other way, and there is a Christmas tree farm. In between, a bunch of houses with 75' wide lots.

If you live in a high-rise in NYC, you can still work towards being ss in many ways. I would LOVE to move much further away from "town," but it looks like we will be right here, on this busy road, for a while. I am very fortunate to be zoned for livestock.