Shelf life of food

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
The potatoes are another one on there. I'm still eating on the potatoes we got back beginning of September from my Great Uncle. Not even one bad potato in the box. I probably got another month left on them before they shrivel to much. They'd keep even better if they were kept about 45 degrees instead of 52, not refrigerated. Even store bought potatoes will last fine for several months. Mom doesn't get quite as long out of potatoes as me. Hers were done a month ago. That's because of humidity differences though. Hers shrivel faster in the very low humidity there.

Maybe the chart is assuming that people are idiots and doing everything they can wrong to make stuff go bad? That is very possible with how litigious it is here in the US. I saw a bag of walnuts at the store that had a big bold warning on it of "May Contain Nuts".
I have to agree with ya. people are kinda stupid about food now days. My grand daughter was with us shopping this week and they have these cute little burpless cucumbers called baby cucumbers sold four in a pack(on sale for a buck instead of the normal $3) and she looked at them and said.. Hey Gamma! Those look just like what you grow every year in your garden! a lady older than me looked at her and said "oh people can't grow those types of things at home, it is special hot house stuff". whaaa? I just told her that is she goes on over to the seed section of same store and look for a cucumber called "muncher" she could grow them in the yard too. she kinda looked at me like I was crazy but didn't argue. I'm like.. they are just cucumbers and I've even grown the big English ones in the garden.
and if they have no idea where or how things are grown then they certainly have no idea how long the shelf life is. Sad but true.
the funny thing is that my grand daughter who is 4 is the queen of the question this year. and grilled me for 10 minutes on the matter! Like doesn't that lady know where cucumbers come from gamma and then when I said that not everyone grows veggies sweetie it was "why don't they gamma they are so good out in the yard" and on and on.. out of the mouth of babes.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Hinotori said:
The potatoes are another one on there. I'm still eating on the potatoes we got back beginning of September from my Great Uncle. Not even one bad potato in the box. I probably got another month left on them before they shrivel to much. They'd keep even better if they were kept about 45 degrees instead of 52, not refrigerated. Even store bought potatoes will last fine for several months. Mom doesn't get quite as long out of potatoes as me. Hers were done a month ago. That's because of humidity differences though. Hers shrivel faster in the very low humidity there.

Maybe the chart is assuming that people are idiots and doing everything they can wrong to make stuff go bad? That is very possible with how litigious it is here in the US. I saw a bag of walnuts at the store that had a big bold warning on it of "May Contain Nuts".
I have to agree with ya. people are kinda stupid about food now days. My grand daughter was with us shopping this week and they have these cute little burpless cucumbers called baby cucumbers sold four in a pack(on sale for a buck instead of the normal $3) and she looked at them and said.. Hey Gamma! Those look just like what you grow every year in your garden! a lady older than me looked at her and said "oh people can't grow those types of things at home, it is special hot house stuff". whaaa? I just told her that is she goes on over to the seed section of same store and look for a cucumber called "muncher" she could grow them in the yard too. she kinda looked at me like I was crazy but didn't argue. I'm like.. they are just cucumbers and I've even grown the big English ones in the garden.
and if they have no idea where or how things are grown then they certainly have no idea how long the shelf life is. Sad but true.
the funny thing is that my grand daughter who is 4 is the queen of the question this year. and grilled me for 10 minutes on the matter! Like doesn't that lady know where cucumbers come from gamma and then when I said that not everyone grows veggies sweetie it was "why don't they gamma they are so good out in the yard" and on and on.. out of the mouth of babes.
That is precious!! I love how we are building our future up in the little ones :love

My ex was sitting at the table with us years ago obviously...but he looked at a jar of whole pickles after helping us work in the garden all afternoon and said "Wow! Those pickles look just like the cucumbers out in the garden!" Needless to say that's part of why he became an EX :lol:

It is sad how much people don't even think about what they are putting in their mouths. It's kinda stupid, they complain about their kids putting everything in their mouths as toddlers, and say things like "get that out of your mouth, you don't know where it's been!!" and then they go put something in their mouths that they have no clue where it's been....... :rolleyes: :hu No wonder our kids are screwed up in the head these days :lol:

Eggs in the cabinet...that's actually a good idea, mine sometimes get in the way out on the counter when the girls are in full swing....I may clean out a spot for eggs in the cabinet now :D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Room temp eggs cook better since they don't have to heat up first.

I usually just cook the eggs from that day or dig into the older eggs in my "to hatch" carton that's on the counter. I do keep most of the eggs in the fridge just because they will last a lot longer if refrigerated right away and I know the people who buy eggs from me only get them every other week. It's staggered so half get one week, half the other. I want the eggs to be as good as possible for them.

I look at the spots on the store eggs that mean they are porous and shake my head. I don't put any eggs like that in the cartons for customers. Eggs like that go in my "dog carton". Well I'll eat them, but the dogs and cats love their eggs, so they get the odd ones as their share, and I get the best.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anything about shelf life should include data or experience. These look like a list of numbers that someone pulled out of their internet and totally lack credibility.

The storage conditions listed here are so minimal that I already don't believe what I'm reading. There are 2 types of pantry storage---cold and moist for root vegtables and cool and dry for certain squashes, onions, garlic, etc.

I learned a bit about a couple chemicals used to preserve food. Potassium/Sodium sorbate is one of them. It basically prevents the growth of a broad range of yeasts other fungi. It's used to make sweet wines in the homebrew world. I've used it to keep home-made mayo from spoiling so quickly. A little OT, but thought it might of interest.