Shelling peas

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never tried Kimchi, or Kombucha, or any of those other fermented things. The most I've tried in the way of non-traditional is Tempeh. My BIL used to make it. When ever they came to visit, he'd have a bag of fermenting soy beans with him.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use an old ice chest half full of cool water to do my sauerkraut and pickles. If it's especially warm, I float a small water bottle that I froze for that purpose. I would imagine the kimchi needs about the same range of temps- 65-70F?
I also saw where someone bought one of those small wine coolers and set the temp to what she wanted. I'm too cheap for that, though... my method has worked fine so far.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use an old ice chest half full of cool water to do my sauerkraut and pickles. If it's especially warm, I float a small water bottle that I froze for that purpose. I would imagine the kimchi needs about the same range of temps- 65-70F?
I also saw where someone bought one of those small wine coolers and set the temp to what she wanted. I'm too cheap for that, though... my method has worked fine so far.

if it is low cost and works well enough i sure won't knock it! :)