SheriM - Too Stubborn to Stop Dreamin' - SURPRISE!!!

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For the past week or two, my very pregnant Ellie has been squeezing her puppy-filled body through a stretched piece of page wire and hanging out in the yard with the boy dogs. While I'm thrilled that she's staying in the yard, I don't want her out this close to delivering the pups but no matter how many times we patched that fence, she'd find a way to squeeze through. So, the weather warmed up big time a couple of days ago (It was actually above freezing!) and we put chain link up along that stretch of the fence. I'd been planning to do it anyway, but not till this spring.

Fixed her little red wagon! She hasn't been out since we re-did the fence!! She's due sometime in the next week or two, so I have a stall all bedded, with a heat lamp hanging ready. I've been praying every day for warm weather when the pups arrive and, if the forecast is any indication, we just might get it.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We moved Ellie and her sister into the barn a couple of days ago and I'm glad we did. We're in the middle of a huge snow storm and Ellie decided to have her pups today. She's had 7 so far, and might be done but I'm not certain about that yet. Thankfully, the temperature is only a few degrees below freezing and is supposed to be reasonably warm (-8C) over night.

And before you ask, I WILL post pictures as soon as I can, but they're all cuddled up under her right now.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're up to 9 now. I sure hope she's done...9 is plenty for her to care for in this weather. They're all crying a lot. I sure hope that's normal, but I'm not too experienced at being a doggie midwife, so I don't know for sure. They're in the barn in a well bedded stall with a heat lamp right over Ellie, so I hope that will be enough.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Congratulations on puppies!! (I am a sucker for puppy breath :D) Is she a first time mom? If she is, she may need an eye kept on her so she keeps the pups warm and close to her.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
New puppies may whine for a bit until they all get their bellies full. Then you should only hear them whine when it's dinner time. :)

Congratulations on the new pups!

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I checked on them a couple of times during the night and they're all doing well. They were squawking again this morning, but that was because everybody was squirming around trying to find a seat at the snack bar. :)

This is Ellie's second (and last) litter. I'm going to be fixing everybody as soon as I can. Puppies are just way too stressful for me. Give me goat kids any day!