SheriM - Too Stubborn to Stop Dreamin' - SURPRISE!!!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The pup that you lost may have had a cleft pallet. We bred our Lab years ago and she had 11 healthy puppies, one died a few days later and all around her mouth was rather milky. Took it to the vet to get an answer and the vet simply said "cleft pallet"

It's pretty common unfortunately and the puppies usually die a day or two after birth, sometimes they last a bit longer.

We have 2 very pregnant poodles here lol..

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The boys are home!! :woot

DH went out to check on the pups and when he came in, said one of the boys was out there. He thought it was Smiley, which worried me, because Harry would never go anywhere without Smiley. Turns out, it was Harry. I was fairly relieved because it IS normal for Smiley to go off without Harry. Checked on the pups real quick (they're doing great, despite the bitter cold) then looked in the loose housing area. There's Smiley curled up in the straw, smiling up at me and obviously very pleased with himself.

For now, at least, I can relax. The boys are where they belong, Ellie and the pups are doing fine and Angel is holding her own.

I don't remember who mentioned it, but I think they were right. I bet the boys were off looking for Angel. Hopefully, she'll be home soon and we can ALL relax.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I'm sorry for all the stress you've had the last few days. Sorry for the pup you lost.

I hope the boys stick closer to home next time, no more wandering off. Hopefully Angel will be better soon and get to come home.

:hugs

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Man, when it rains, it pours. Hopefully things are starting to look up for y'all up there. :hugs :fl

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got a phone call about 2:30 this afternoon from the vet's office. Angel is having her puppies!!!! I wish I could be there for her, but it's an hour away, I've been up twice in the past few days and it's darned hard on the fuel bill because the recent snow storm left huge drifts so I have to use my 4x4 pickup to go anywhere. I know she's in good hands...hands far better than mine, actually, but it still feels funny to know my dog is having pups without me.

Now the question becomes how many is she going to have and will she be able to feed 'em all in her weakened condition. Hand feeding puppies is extremely intensive, but I may have to jump in there. We'll have to wait and see. Last I heard, she had delivered 5. Given her size and the size of her previous litter (12) I doubt she's half done.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Gosh, you've had some stressfull days!!! Glad to hear Angel is doing ok and at the vets. Altough I know you would rather have been by her side, but at least you do know she is in very capable hands, if something should go wrong.
Congratulations on all those pups!!!

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As of about 8:00 p.m. Angel had delivered 9 pups, 1 of which didn't make it, but the vet said she wasn't done yet. Last Friday, I owned 5 dogs. I now have 21 and counting. Yikes!!!

(p.s. Ellie's pups are doing fantastic.)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh My Sheri!! Im so glad to hear the boys are home from thier "adventure" Angel is in good hands, so you can rest there. Wow, all those puppies!! Now you can concentrate on getting them sld, and getting those adults fixed! That should lesson a few of your worries. Get soem rest ... your gonna need it when those pups get home!