SheriM - Too Stubborn to Stop Dreamin' - SURPRISE!!!

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Angel's final count was 14, 12 lived. She's still at the vet where it's warmer till the pups get a good start and we're sure she can feed them all. She is obviously feeling much better herself and bounced to her feet when I went into her stall this morning. The day before, she could barely stand.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You are going to have your hands full with all those puppies :lol:
You better get your rest, while you can!!!!

Great news about Angel doing so much better!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weee So glad to hear she is up and around. 12 more pups! Wow!! Congrats...I think! LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, that is a bunch of pups. So what are you going to do with all these doggies?

kiss um, and hug um and luv um??

:D
gina

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All 20 pups survived the night...Ellie's 8 out in the barn and Angel's 12 at the vet. It was SO cold last night. Poor Ellie even had frost on her head and back this morning, but the pups were burrowed deep under her and were all warm and snuggly. They're 6 days old now and able to handle the cold.

Physically, Angel and the kids are ready to come home, but I'm super worried about bringing them from the warmth of the clinic to the deep freeze of my barn. Ellie's pups have a heat lamp but even so, it was darned cold in there this morning. At the clinic, Angel and her pups are in the back where they work on large animals, so they're not in room temperature but it's still well above freezing in there. That is, to me, too large a variation for the little gaffers to handle.

The vet said they can stay till they're stronger and it's a bit warmer, but the longer they go in the protected environment, the harder it will be to move them outside. I suggested they start dropping the temperature in there slowly, to harden the pups off like you would a plant. Gonna talk to the vet later today and discuss options.

As for what I'm going to do with them...all 20 are most definitely for sale! A friend (who owns Ellie and Angel's parents) is pressuring me to keep a white female, but I really don't need 5 dogs to guard 30 + goats!

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Angel is home! It's still bitterly cold and I was worried about moving the pups from the relative warmth of the clinic (they were in the barely heated back area where they treat large animals) to the cold of the barn, but with a deep bed of straw and blankets and a good strong heat lamp, they seem to be doing fine.

Angel and Ellie had a less than cheerful reunion, though, growling at each other somethin' fierce, but they'll have a chance now to get reaquainted with each other's scent and sounds. Thank goodness I opted for solid walls between the stalls!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Glad to hear the transition went well, bringing mom and pups home. Hopefully the two moms will settle down. Is that normal for nursing moms, or just those two dogs?
Wow, 20 pups. Good Luck! :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SO glad to hear Angel is home. How are the pups looking being in the cooler temps? I was a little worried about the 2 females, with litters, getting along. Hopefully they settle down, and you have no issues with that! 20 pups! wow, I want one!! Waite...your too far, DRATS!!:/

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The two moms are completely ignoring each other. Last year, Angel was in a different shed and had her pups 2 weeks after Ellie, so they were never near each other when the pups were this young. They'll adjust to the sounds of another litter nearby very quickly.

It's midnight and I just came in from checking on the pups. All was quiet in the barn. Angel's brood was squirming around her, doing normal puppy things. Ellie was nursing 3, the rest were sleeping in a nice neat row under the heat lamp. It was super cute, so I stopped to watch for a minute and noticed one of the pups was squirming and making little squeaking sounds. I watched for quite a while and I swear that puppy was dreaming! What on earth would a 10 day old pup dream about???