Sherrynboo's journal

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I guess it is time to let ya'll know more about myself. I have never done a journal of any type so please bear with me here!

I live in west central GA on the border of Alabama, just north of Columbus. We have a 4 acre spread which we bought as raw land about 25 years ago. I didn't start with the intention of homesteading or simple living but it has been a process of evolution. Looking back, I can see how the Lord has directed my steps to where we are now.

I have a husband, a grown daughter, 5 grandchildren and too many animals. My menagerie includes 2 St. Bernards, 1 Siberian husky, 2 indoor cats, 3 monkeys, 2 parrots, 2 cockatiels, 18 chickens and 2 goats.

I work part time outside the home doing residential cleaning. My husband and I started this business about 15 years ago and that is all we do besides the small farming.

I have been making soap for about 6 years but have never ventured beyond bar soap. Once I got the goats I started doing the goat milk soap. That was a disaster in the making to start with but I finally made it work!

Thank you for letting me be a member on this board. It seems like a really warm, friendly place!

Sherry in GA

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Hey, Sherrynboo!! Glad to get to know you a little better. :frow

I would like to start making soap, but I don't know if I want to take that plunge yet. Seems like an expensive start up. I've been known to go overboard with a new endeavor and not follow through. Maybe I should stay away from that for now.

And I just have to ask: "How did you come by owning monkeys?"

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Sherrynboo - Since punkin as the how I will ask the what kind of monkeys and what kind of parrots?

I wish I had time to make soap. But then I also wish I had goats. LOL I think you call that wishing your life away.

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We used to have a reptile exhibit back in the early 80's and as a result of that I came across a copy of Animal Finder's Guide and they were advertising monkeys for sale among other exotic animals and reptiles. I had wanted a monkey since I was a child after seeing some at a local department store in the mid 60's. We ended up ordering a 11/2 year old male capuchin for $500. The male capuchin ended up being a female and she is now 27 years old. Her name is Amos and her nickname is Boo which is the other half of my screen name! We ended up with two more, a little vervet monkey also called a green monkey who is now 20 and a soon to be 16 year old male patas monkey. Anyone who thinks they want a monkey does not have a clue what they are in store for but I would not trade my life with them for anything.

Sherry in GA

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to tell about the parrots! Chico is a blue front amazon that is about the same age as the oldest monkey. We got him back in '84. The other one is a feather plucking African Grey that one of my clients gave me due to his feather plucking ways. Joey, the grey is probably 12 years old now, still plucks but not as bad as he did. Very neurotic fellow, doesn't like change. I think his original owner may have contributed to his problems by changing out all of his toys and stuff all the time trying to keep him stimulated so he wouldn't pluck.

I do enjoy making the soap and it is not all that hard to do if you stick with the easier recipes. One of my new years resolutions is to make a batch every week and get it sold! Wish me luck, haha!

Sherry

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
OK, now you've gotta post pictures. That just sounds too interesting. :pop

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok, showing my ignorance here. How do you post pictures on here??? I am very technically challenged, haha!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
snb - I am technically challenged too. The only way I know to post pics it to download them to photobucket. There may be other sites that do the same thing but that is the only one I have ever used and therefore the only one I am familiar with. Then you have to copy the img code under the picture you want to post. Then paste it here. Just a little hint that took me forever to figure out. All you have to do is click one time on the img code and a little yellow envelope thing pops up and says copied. If I click more than one time my picture won't paste right.

Does any of that make sense or help? Maybe someone else has a better way. Then we can both learn something. LOL

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:welcome

I want to see pics of the monkeys!!! I always wanted a real monkey when I was little!! I had a TON of stuffed monkeys...still have them!

Latest posts