Shiitake Mushrooms

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello to those of you I have not met in here. :)

I really enjoy shiitake mushrooms, I've bought some dried from an organic mushroom farm. I was about to cook up rice lentils peas and said mushrooms them managed to drop one on the floor. I am the worst ever gardener on this planet but thought if these little beauties can just grow out of wood, then maybe if I put this mushroom onto wood chips in my home there could be a chance i could manage to grow some. Does anyone here have any ideas? Any thoughts will be appreciated :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have heard that it's possible to get some mushrooms growing by cutting the knobby base off, and planting that in an appropriate growing medium. The theory is that there will be some mycelium that will "take root" and spread through the medium, resulting in an eventual crop. I bought some wine cap spawn a few years ago. Their preferred medium is hardwood chips. I use wood chips in my garden, so spread some of the spawn in the garden. It's been about 4 years, and I still have some wine caps sprouting up here and there in my yard.

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mushrooms may be my next project. My favorite video channel is GroCycle because they are oriented towards low tech mushroom growing. I am not sure if allowed to post links but they do have a vid on growing mushrooms outdoors. I wish I had more experience to give you ideas myself. I do think you have a chance at doing what you are talking about.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard that it's possible to get some mushrooms growing by cutting the knobby base off, and planting that in an appropriate growing medium. The theory is that there will be some mycelium that will "take root" and spread through the medium, resulting in an eventual crop. I bought some wine cap spawn a few years ago. Their preferred medium is hardwood chips. I use wood chips in my garden, so spread some of the spawn in the garden. It's been about 4 years, and I still have some wine caps sprouting up here and there in my yard.
Thank you yet again. I have wood chips that I use for my chickens. Can they be grown indoors. I seek around for info on this . I'd love to make a start. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would not bother to try to grow them inside. IMO, it would be more difficult to provide the perfect growing conditions inside. They are perfect for outside, and even better in your climate than mine. You can order Wine Cap spawn on line.

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To grow inside, you have to create climate-controlled areas. I see people doing it but it is definitely a project that requires investment.

Latest posts