shortages

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There do seem to be more canners active than pre pandemic. I suspect the economy has kept a few more going than we expected to stay with it. Wonder how many are actually gardening also 🤔

Read where cane fields in sugar countries are "off" production. So, if you do much with jellies or pickling, you might want to stock the sugar now.
👋 Although I've done water-bath canning, I'm new to pressure canning. We have always had a garden - but I'm looking to grow new varieties that we haven't tried, before. Oh - and I have a greenhouse on the way. I'm excited about that!

I'll have to stock up on sugar. Thanks for the update on that

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
👋 Although I've done water-bath canning, I'm new to pressure canning. We have always had a garden - but I'm looking to grow new varieties that we haven't tried, before. Oh - and I have a greenhouse on the way. I'm excited about that!

I'll have to stock up on sugar. Thanks for the update on that
Sugar will store for a long time. Vacuum seal it and it will last forever! LOL

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sugar will store for a long time. Vacuum seal it and it will last forever! LOL
I just put sugar directly into a food grade bucket and put on the lid. I dont use oxygen absorbers because if you do, the sugar will get rock hard. I do have to scrape it a little when re~supplying, but its not bad. I have 5 or 6 5gallon buckets full of sugar. About that much full of flour, rice, pasta, and beans.
I also have two 5 shelf wire racks full of non~perishable dry goods like powdered milk, peanut butter, canned goods, salt, spices, and boxed meals.
One shelf is dedicated to pet food, canned meats, 9 hour candles, a campstove and fuel for it.
Im ready for when the shtf.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just put sugar directly into a food grade bucket and put on the lid. I dont use oxygen absorbers because if you do, the sugar will get rock hard. I do have to scrape it a little when re~supplying, but its not bad. I have 5 or 6 5gallon buckets full of sugar. About that much full of flour, rice, pasta, and beans.
I also have two 5 shelf wire racks full of non~perishable dry goods like powdered milk, peanut butter, canned goods, salt, spices, and boxed meals.
One shelf is dedicated to pet food, canned meats, 9 hour candles, a campstove and fuel for it.
Im ready for when the shtf.

That's what I do with sugar. Hubby likes his sweet tea and the 25 pound bags are cheaper per pound.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been switching over to maple syrup and honey instead of granulated sugar. I stocked those first - and I can restock from local growers each year.

I have about 10# sugar stored for when DH wants to bake. It will last us a long time.

I'm surprised how much less sugar my family uses now than a few years ago. It's a good change for us!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been switching over to maple syrup and honey instead of granulated sugar. I stocked those first - and I can restock from local growers each year.

I have about 10# sugar stored for when DH wants to bake. It will last us a long time.

I'm surprised how much less sugar my family uses now than a few years ago. It's a good change for us!

i love my sweets but i sure notice the difference too in how i feel. i can often make a lot of recipes with half the sugar for many baked items or puddings and i'm still very happy with the results.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wow. Soft drinks are very expensive now, regardless of brand, packaging, reg/diet. Scaled way back before the end of last year, only a once in a while treat now when out (like on campus at work). Drinking either plain water or iced tea.

I didn't realize how bad it has gotten. Easy to cut something out of your diet if you are too cheap to spend the dollars. Lol

But I do miss my diet Dr Pepper a bit.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow. Soft drinks are very expensive now, regardless of brand, packaging, reg/diet. Scaled way back before the end of last year, only a once in a while treat now when out (like on campus at work). Drinking either plain water or iced tea.

I didn't realize how bad it has gotten. Easy to cut something out of your diet if you are too cheap to spend the dollars. Lol

But I do miss my diet Dr Pepper a bit.
It sure was easier to give up my soda habit when the prices went up!