shortages

Boobalacka

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have "met" [online] some people who dont go grocery shopping at all in winter. Or some who stock up on large items like pet food bags so they don't have to carry them in winter. Smart! I am not that organized.
I have enough animal feed, horse, chicken, dog, cat and human food for 6 months minimum! Nothing worse than lugging sacks of feed in -35

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just canning lids are slack in many stores. Prices are high when found and mostly reg size. Luckily, I'm stocked for own needs through 2022. But I know where there are stores with lids!

I don't care for dark meat turkey parts but, use it up in soups/casseroles, so no waste. I'm battling self with buying sale priced turkey but do NOT need to buy them or the ?$?$ that is needed for the 33 cent a pound! We've had some 4.99 & 5.99 beef sales, too.

Trying to control. I'm well stocked. Now my efforts need to be to control my selection of what to grow in my 2022 garden! You want to grow all you like to eat. But some things I eat so seldom, it's not worth the space or work. 🤔 gotta control that. Have a big garden spot -- big. Will devote portions to animal feeding stuff.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@Mini Horses , I think an inventory effort is needed around here before any new large purchases. The food, non-food, and preservation supplies.

Then, I think some decisions can be made. Still eating on the soup and turkey salad from Monday.

I think we have close to 6 months of stuff now.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a bucket of pinto beans that was maybe 10-12 years old. Even soaking overnight and simmering for a day or two, they were still hard. So I soaked them, simmered, then canned them, came out perfect! Still have some in the bucket. When I can the last of them, I'll fill the bucket up again! LOL LOL

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a bucket of pinto beans that was maybe 10-12 years old. Even soaking overnight and simmering for a day or two, they were still hard. So I soaked them, simmered, then canned them, came out perfect! Still have some in the bucket. When I can the last of them, I'll fill the bucket up again! LOL LOL

Pinto beans are always good filler for so many things. :)

if you get some of those Purple Dove beans to grow they taste like a milder Pinto bean and cook faster (since they're smaller). i've got several gallons of seeds here in glass jars now of just those alone plus all the other bulk beans we grew here the past few years so i think i'm set for a while on bean supplies.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So a while back we had rabbits in my barn but DH claimed they were vanishing. He thought it was the people who didn’t have cars to go to the food lines who were hungry. So now I understand turkey is expensive... I hope not. I was at my farm yesterday and several chickens surrounded us and one turkey was there with them. DH has also put 12 new rabbits in the cages. I really think we best hide the turkeys until after Thanksgiving or some of them might vanish. I don’t know what shortages we have because I have been avoiding the stores. Gotta use the donated stuff first.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There have been thieves for years...everywhere. With the situation you are in, possible that animals could be at risk. HOWEVER the food/meals being provided to all should make their theft far less a problem. Let's face it, most people won't butcher if they don't need to! Even for those who raise their own meats, it's the most offensive part of the cycle.

I'm thinking they are safe.

Years back, I had a garden plot in a space where they rented such. Maybe 35 or so plots. Those who had, loved communing with others there. Then, we discovered that some passers-by were harvesting at night! :(

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There have been thieves for years...everywhere. With the situation you are in, possible that animals could be at risk. HOWEVER the food/meals being provided to all should make their theft far less a problem. Let's face it, most people won't butcher if they don't need to! Even for those who raise their own meats, it's the most offensive part of the cycle.

I'm thinking they are safe.

Years back, I had a garden plot in a space where they rented such. Maybe 35 or so plots. Those who had, loved communing with others there. Then, we discovered that some passers-by were harvesting at night! :(
My wife all about hiding the garden. This year we planted lilac bushes to hide it from the road. It'll take several years for it to be hidden.

I'm of the opinion, if someone needs food then, you're more than welcome to pick the garden. Just ask first, so I don't have to call you a thief.

I have a hard time dealing with a thief. But am more than willing to help someone who needs it. So "raiding the garden" is a mixed bag for me.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸